Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Canadian Railroads > Keep the post?

Date: 04/22/14 20:28
Keep the post?
Author: Locotrol2

A few years back, this lovely station mile board was given to me by a very good friend, after he found it in a scrap pile along the right of way. I'm looking at mounting it to the wall once I have my basement completed this fall.

Looking for some opinions, keep the post, or remove it?

Appreciate everyone's ideas........

Locotrol2

Date: 04/22/14 22:27
Re: Keep the post?
Author: up833

I would keep the post..its original and unique...I think.
Roger Beckett

Date: 04/22/14 23:59
Keep the post.........
Author: Ron

Me too. Keep it and try to find a way to mount it so you save the post.

Ron

Date: 04/23/14 08:06
Author: Torisgod

Where is this post from?

Tor in Eugene

Date: 04/23/14 08:59
Author: LKeithR

Things like that belong in a museum where everyone can appreciate them...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Date: 04/23/14 14:50
Author: CP9300

LKeithR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Things like that belong in a museum where everyone
> can appreciate them...

After a person passes on, I agree. But for the time being I think that if people own these items, why not display them in their home for their own personal enjoyment. My vote is for leaving the post off.

My 0.02 cents, A.J.

Date: 04/24/14 20:34
Author: Train611

Cathedral is the last siding before Field BC on the CP mainline at the location of the Spiral Tunnels.
Very nice artifact...I would protect it and keep it.

Date: 04/24/14 20:52
Author: garr

Definitely keep the post, otherwise you have a sign that could be mistaken as one of the modern, made to look old signs found in Hobby Lobby, Pier !, or other such places.

Jay

Date: 04/25/14 05:31
Author: Lackawanna484

Keep it.

Maybe mount it in a shadow box with a forest green background. With a CPR logo above.

Date: 04/26/14 10:48
Author: eminence_grise

The post shows evidence of an earlier style of station mileboard. Until the 1960's, station mileboards had curved tops. Earlier than that, they had the words "ONE MILE" beneath the curved top, and the letters followed the curve. I think they were actually two sign boards, one above the other. Incredibly, "ONE MILE, BROUSE" survived near Nakusp BC until abandonment in 1988.

CP had a book which they supplied to the Bridge & Building departments, which show exactly how to paint and letter trackside signs. They also supplied lettering stencils. The book was loose leaf with drawings supplied by the engineering department.
The one used by the Revelstoke B&B had painting diagrams going way back into history as they just added new diagrams over the originals. The silver background paint seems to have been a 1940's change.

CP also had building blueprints, which specified exactly how much wood ,and nails, windows, and door
frames were required. Unlike the Canadian Northern which required buildings to be exactly the same as the drawings, building masters on CP learned to vary the designs but use the same amount of building materials. In some cases, there is evidence that the persons who were going to occupy the buildings supplied extra building materials for kitchens, outhouses and so forth.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0568 seconds