Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Canadian Railroads > Kicking Horse Pass Fall Colors Question

Date: 09/16/14 11:44
Kicking Horse Pass Fall Colors Question
Author: cascade463

I am planning a trip to Rogers and Kicking Horse Pass this fall. How soon I might see some fall colors?
Thanks in advance!
Cascade463

Date: 09/16/14 13:27
Re: Kicking Horse Pass Fall Colors Question
Author: Train611

Hi,

Not sure if this will help, but this image was taken on October 13, 2013.
Location is just west of Exshaw AB.

This is Spectacular country in the fall.

Good luck with the trip.

Date: 09/16/14 13:44

Thanks for the reply and the beautiful image!

Date: 09/16/14 16:25
Author: rschonfelder

I wouldn't plan it much later than that date of mid October as the photo shows the foliage in the state where gravity has commenced its' effect. Moving up towards the Divide will see states more advanced at a similar time.

Don't forget that Alberta got its' first snowfall on 8th September which had a devastating effect on people's garden trees In Calgary. This could have advanced things further up the hill.

Rick

Date: 09/16/14 16:35
Author: WAF

Pretty much past peak for color.

Date: 09/17/14 09:10
Author: toledopatch

Based on what I have seen farther south, in Montana, during early October, I'd recommend going before the 13th. The week of Oct 5-11 would be much wiser.

The earlier you go, the better your chances for good weather, too. Early October is when the dipping jet stream typically starts to bring Pacific storms across that part of the Rockies.

Date: 09/17/14 15:34

Thank you all for your answers. I was up there in June and had a great time. I will be leaving next week and should return in early October.
I'll be sure to post some images here when I get back.
Thanks again,
Cascade463

Date: 09/17/14 16:39
Author: eminence_grise

The Windermere Sub, (Golden south to Fort Steele BC) has spectacular colours in early October. North of Radium, Highway 95 closely follows the tracks. It is a north-south railway, in the wide valley of the Columbia River. OCS (dark) territory with lots of coal trains and at one daily general merchandise train each way.

Date: 09/17/14 21:33
Author: Train611

I drove that road just last week, and commented to my wife about the oncoming fall colours.
Allow a day from Cranbrook to Golden and you are sure to get some excellent opportunities.

Travel safe.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/18/14 15:09

Awesome! I will be driving through there next week. Looking forward to it.
Thanks for the info!
Cascade463

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds