Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Canadian Railroads > Eastbound with 712 axles on the Shuswap Sub

Date: 01/20/15 14:47
Eastbound with 712 axles on the Shuswap Sub
Author: Train611

Hello to the TO folks,

Yesterday saw CP8633 East heading up empty potash cars about 7 miles east of Kamloops.

There is a pedestrian bridge that provides for a good photo platform.

1. 8633 East moves the train past the crossing and signals at 121.5 Shuswap Sub.

2. The two head-end units have the train at 30 plus mph at this location, just going under the bridge.

3. There are 175 cars ahead of the SBU. Approx. 6000 tons plus the power.

Good views for the train fans driving Highway #1

Thanks for looking...

Have a great day!

Date: 01/20/15 15:09
Re: Eastbound with 712 axles on the Shuswap Sub
Author: KickingHorse

Nice.

I didn't see it but the 8633 was holding short of the Canmore West switch around 14:00 about to get a 567.2 I assume it was the same train. When those behemoth 674s come through here, they have a tail-end remote as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/15 15:25 by KickingHorse.

Date: 01/21/15 02:09
Author: Finderskeepers

I feel for the conductor having to hold his breath going over every hotbox detector. There is nothing like hearing the tone "hot box" or "dragging" equipment" and "axle 542" knowing you now have to be prepared to walk over 2 miles in the bitter cold carrying 50lbs worth of mandatory tools (yes, mandatory).

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/21/15 07:59
Author: spdaylight

Russ

Love the first signal shot . . I'm assuming the pedestrian bridge doesn't have screening to prevent a good shot . . most pedestrian bridges over tracks do or is the mesh big enough to shot okay?

Craig
http://mcmrailvideos.com/

Date: 01/21/15 10:46
Author: LKeithR

spdaylight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>I'm assuming the
> pedestrian bridge doesn't have screening to
> prevent a good shot . . most pedestrian bridges
> over tracks do or is the mesh big enough to shot
> okay?

That walkway is wide open which makes it nice for shooting. BTW, I love the perspective of the first shot--obviously taken with a longer lens. What gear are you using?

Somewhere in my collection I have shots taken from the same place--it's been awhile; I've gotta try and stop to get some more the next time I go through. Come to think about it lately all I've been doing is passing "through" Kamloops; I never stop to spend any time there. Your images have reminded me of how much I'm missing...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Date: 01/21/15 14:05
Author: RogersPass

Hello, Would this train go over Kicking Horse pass and though Banff??
If Yes would that be enough power to get up the hill out of Field please??
or is more power added some where like just out side Kanloops where they take
off power.
Thanks in advance and have a good day..

Cheers Brian in New Zealand..

Date: 01/21/15 15:08
Author: Train611

Hello to all, and thank you for the comments. They are much appreciated.

Answers to a couple of questions:
Craig...as mentioned this is a clear overpass or bridge...no screening. A nice spot for some good angles, especially with a morning sun, usually on the south side (engineers' side in this photo).

Keith...Canon camera with 18-135 mm lens, zoomed at 135 mm: ISO 200: 1/400: WB was daylight...handheld.

Brian in NZ...The train would go through Rogers Pass; (Connaught Tunnel if in service); Field and Spiral Tunnels; Banff - Calgary and east.
Heard on the scanner, this train was picking up two units at Geddis. I am not sure what HP/Tonnage ratio CP uses but this train would have 8800hp pulling about 6400 tons at this point.

Take care folks,

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0493 seconds