Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Canadian Railroads > Another Sunny Day in Nova Scotia

Date: 08/23/16 18:46
Another Sunny Day in Nova Scotia
Author: cn6218

The good weather has continued Down East, and I've been able to get out before work a few times to enjoy it.

​Just after 07:30 this morning, 407 was crossing the Shubenacadie River in the village of the same name, with the usual two 6-motor diesels, and what appears to be GP38-2W 4789, which has been half the power for the Dartmouth local for the past few weeks (the other half is GP9 4139, still working there this morning).  I didn't count the cars myself, but the detector a few miles ahead counted 176 axles, translating to 40 autoracks plus the power.  Unfortunately, 120 (with two new 3100s in the consist) didn't get to Halifax until almost 11:00, so I missed them, and had to settle for a yard shot of 3109 this evening (see KG's thread from yesterday).

​The ACL container ship Atlantic Cartier has been in the Port of Halifax for over a week now, and yesterday was moved from the Ceres Container Pier to an anchorage in Bedford Basin.  This ship is just about to be retired and has had some major mechanical difficulties of late.  I hope those boxes on its deck are empty, or there will be some very unhappy customers somewhere.

​Shortly after 121's power arrived at the yard office, the 15:00 job, with 9675 and 9450, dragged the day's intermodal traffic in and shoved it into one of the departure tracks.  9675's paint is a bit rough, and the green of its original owner (GO Transit) is starting to show through in places.  Unlike most of CN's GP40-2Ws, this one has full headlights and class lights on the long hood end, and a minimal plow pilot, allowing it to run at track speed through public crossings, long hood forward.

​GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/16 18:50 by cn6218.

Date: 08/23/16 19:05
Re: Another Sunny Day in Nova Scotia
Author: Trainatic

Excellent pics, thanks for posting.  Going to be in Halifax in October as a cruise ship stop.  Going to rent a car and do a little train watching.
Joe

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds