Home Open Account Help 372 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Flying Scotsman

Date: 11/29/14 07:18
Flying Scotsman
Author: Rivannaco

Date: 11/29/14 12:18
Re: Flying Scotsman
Author: andersonb109

The debacle that the National Railway Museum (current owner of the loco) has created in trying to get the Scotsman back on the rails makes the situation in Cheyenne look tame by comparison.

Date: 12/01/14 12:40
Author: 4489

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The debacle that the National Railway Museum
> (current owner of the loco) has created in trying
> to get the Scotsman back on the rails makes the
> situation in Cheyenne look tame by comparison.

Although situations are terrible in my opinion the UP fiasco is worse given that they went from 1 operable locomotive to zero in a short space of time.

LNER 4472 was in really bad shape when the NRM received it. As I said I hate both situations, however I do not think it is fair to compare.

4489 out

Date: 12/01/14 15:23
Author: 86235

4489 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As I said I hate both situations,
> however I do not think it is fair to compare.
>
> 4489 out

Here's a link to the NRM site with progress on Flying Scotsman's rebuild. The NRM are still targeting 2015 for 4472s return to service, but given what's happened to date I guess that may change

http://www.flyingscotsman.org.uk/see/photos.aspx

To be fair the report into the debacle, by rail consultancy First Class Partnerships, criticises both the current owner, the National Railway Museum, but also makes awkward reading for previous owners of the engine, who made detrimental modifications and had literally flogged the old racehorse into the ground. It will be 92 years old next year after all, and so should be treated as such.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/14 15:30 by 86235.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds