Home Open Account Help 382 users online

European Railroad Discussion > A trip up Mount Rigi

Date: 07/20/16 22:07
A trip up Mount Rigi
Author: wpamtk

Just before going to Rome (see previous thread), we paid a visit to Switzerland. While in Lucerne, we took a trip to the top of Mount Rigi. To reach the Rigi Bahn rack railway at Vitznau, we took one of the marvellous sidewheel steamboats that ply Lake Lucerne. The one we rode was built in 1913 and was powered by a two-cylinder compound engine that was clean enough to have dinner on. 

Date: 07/20/16 22:13
Re: A trip up Mount Rigi

1. At Vitznau, we boarded the cogwheel train for the summit, with a work train on the next track.
2. At the Rigi Kaltbad station, note how the passenger platform deals with the gradient.
3. At Rigi Kulm (the summit station), a train awaits departure for Arth-Goldau, on the east side of the mountain. These trains are blue, while the trains from Vitznau are red. 

Date: 07/20/16 22:20

Railfanning from the summit of Mount Rigi--
1. A freight train passes through Arth-Goldau
2. A passenger train between Arth-Goldau and Zug.
3. Another passenger, coming east from Kussnacht. 

Date: 07/21/16 11:49
Author: Hartington

Brings back a few memories.   I got taken there as a child in the mid 50s.   Those steamers were there then.   One in particular remains in my memory; we called it "Smoky Joe"!

Date: 07/21/16 17:57
Author: Peregrin

I did this same trip 25 years ago and had the exact same impression (same words) of the boat engine. I was in awe. Thanks for the memories!

Date: 07/22/16 05:27

The Rigibahn still runs steam occasionally, but not the day I was there. I found a public timetable that seemed to indicate which days steam was scheduled to run (based on my poor translation abilities).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds