Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Emery Gulash

Date: 02/25/06 19:06
Emery Gulash
Author: borg

Emery Gulash of Dearborn, Mich. passed away on friday, 2/24/06. Mr. Gulash was a very active rail photographer shooting black & white, slides, 16mm movies and viedo. His photographes have been in many books and magaiznes and he has several viedo's out through Green Frog.
Mr. Gulash was 88. Funeral will be in Dearborn, Mich on tuesday.

Date: 02/25/06 19:25
Re: Emery Gulash
Author: MEKoch

I suspect we all have some of his videos. He was a prolific photographer in the 50s - 70s.

Date: 02/25/06 20:29
Author: CJ

Sad to see him go. NYC historians can be especially grateful for his hard work at covering many parts of the NYC system. His work will live on for many years to come. We in NW Ohio/SE Michigan can be especially grateful for his work. God Speed Emery.

Chris
K8CRQ

Date: 02/25/06 22:59
Author: Telus6429

This is sad news indeed. This gentleman has given lots of history in his videos and photos from many years pass, and I wish his legend continues, and pass on further. I have heard lots about him, and I found it very interesting to hear. As a young railfan, from the Windsor area, and a bunch of knowledge from the Greater Detroit area, it just amazes me all of the stuff that once was there, and what he photographed and Filmed. Whats interesting to me, is that I have a few friends that knew Emery and met up with him a few times to watch stuff, and they said he was always a gentleman, and always had great stories, and they were sad to see how things were the later part of his life, as his memory was starting to be lost. Also they even said, the stuff that we as the public has seen of his collection, is just the tip of the ice burg, and there is so much more stuff that his has.

Telus6429
Ian
Windsor, Ontario
http://www.trainweb.org/swontariotrain/index.html
http://www.trainweb.org/wmrc/index.html

Date: 02/26/06 04:28
Author: lee45174

I saw him a few years ago in Deshler, took time out to speak with me.Kind man indeed.

Date: 02/26/06 06:11
Em Gulash Passed on friday, Michigans best Railfan
Author: SANDPATCH1

Em Gulash Passed on friday,

THE dean of Michigan photographers,
IF you know his work you know him. The best photographer, the greatest friend to ALL railfans.
His work will live on and we hope will continue to be enjoyed by all.

David Jakubiec

details below,

Querfield Funeral Home.

Querfeld Funeral Home Inc
1200 Oakwood Blvd
Dearborn
Michigan 48124
Phone: (313) 561-0002

Age 88. February 24, 2006. Dear husband of the late Sigrid. Beloved father of Chuck. Grandfather of Joe and Liz. Dearest brother of Helen Master of San Diego and Kate Scharping (Joe) of Kalamazoo. Ferroequinologist. Air Force veteran. Memorial contributions may be made to Alzheimer's Association. Visitation Sunday 7-9 p.m. and Monday 1-9 p.m. at Querfeld Funeral Home, 1200 Oakwood, Dearborn. Time of service pending.

Date: 02/26/06 14:27
Re: Em Gulash Passed on friday, Michigans best Railfan
Author: jo37

The most notable thing about Mr Gulash's films is that he had the common sense to keep the camera on as the train passed, thereby allowing a good look at the freight and passenger cars of the era. Many times he captured whole passenger trains. I have some of his 50s and 60s stuff and often wonder if the producers are cutting off the trains or if Emery stopped filming. Who knows, whole freight trains may be on those tapes and we have not been allowed to see them. The technology of the day might have prevented having enough time to record trains that took several minutes to pass. But look at the reefer and stock cars on those trains from the 1960's!

Most videos today...except those by Big E Productions...show only locomotives and a few cars, and often of the same train over and over. I don't buy them. This is such a shallow and uninformative way to record present day railroading. If it was not for those cars trailing the train, there would be no purpose for the locomotives or the railroad. Emery seemed to know that, and that is an important part of his legacy. Unfortunately, I never met him.

Date: 02/27/06 10:21
Author: csx6574

Sorry to hear about his passing. I never met the guy but I can sit and watch his Western Maryland tape over and over again and always enjoy it...

Al Moran,
The SD80MACKing

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds