Home Open Account Help 158 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Southern Railway caboose color

Date: 01/13/11 19:26
Southern Railway caboose color
Author: MilwRoad73

I would like to find out the correct red color for a Southern Railway steel bay window caboose, I also need the yellow color for the steps, grab irons, brake wheel etc. Anyone who knows this I would appreciate this information. Could anyone tell me where the Southern shops were that painted their locomotives and cabooses. Maybe I could track down someone who used to work there that could help me with this information. I have a caboose to paint and want the colors right.
Thanks!

Date: 01/13/11 19:47
Re: Southern Railway caboose color
Author: ATSF100WEST

From what I recall, I can't see how you could go wrong with standard "caboose red" (bright red like on Burli-Q units) - IMHO. Regarding the specifics on details, I'll defer to an full time Southern fan.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 01/13/11 19:47
Author: Tominde

Are you talking a model or real caboose? Perhaps folks at NCTM could help.

Date: 01/13/11 19:49

Real caboose!

Date: 01/13/11 19:51

And I would like to use the exact red and yellow paint the Southern used.

Date: 01/13/11 20:50
Author: ts1457

MilwRoad73 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I would like to use the exact red and yellow
> paint the Southern used.

Time period?

Steam era used more of a traditional caboose red, but in the fifties, I believe, through maybe the early seventies, Southern used more of a box car red. The brighter caboose red then returned for the rest of Southern Railway's life.

Date: 01/14/11 02:32

Here are photos of the caboose showing the red color. This is a 1971 caboose.

Date: 01/14/11 09:23
Author: Rathole

If someone doesn't answer this before I return, I'll have the colors for you later this weekend. The guys at Southern Appalachia Rwy Museum in Oak Ridge will have the info; they have 2 Southern cabooses. I'll see or speak to them Sat or Sun.

Date: 01/14/11 09:32

That is great news. Thank you very much for the help!

Date: 01/14/11 14:46
Author: sou2601

Lemme send a quick email or two and I will get the answer for you. If I don't get back to you tonight, I will tomorrow afternoon. I'm on train crew this weekend at the NCTM, and we recently finished up restoration on X648. I should be able to get the exact colors we used for the red and yellow - and I am pretty sure we used DuPont Imron.

-Eric

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/11 14:52 by sou2601.

Date: 01/14/11 15:03

Thank you Eric! The exact DuPont colors are exactly what I want.

Date: 01/15/11 15:53
Author: Rathole

The guys at SARM used Glidden Industrial Enamel in Safety Red and Safety Yellow, appx $20.00 per gallon, and it's a perfect match. It's also a lot easier to use than Imron, which you have to be darn careful with due to possible inhalation hazards.

Date: 01/15/11 16:10

Thank you so very much for that information!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0424 seconds