Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CAGY 701 to IC 9450

Date: 01/13/11 19:11
CAGY 701 to IC 9450
Author: CandG72

Can anyone tell me if this unit is still in service somewhere or has it been scrapped or wrecked. It is a SD28 that looks like it was bought new by the Columbus and Greenville and then sold to ICG and then on to IC. I found a photo of it in a dead line in 1982. Any info on this unit would be great! Thanks in advance.

Date: 01/13/11 19:27
Re: CAGY 701 to IC 9450
Author: stlrailfan

Sir,
I have slides of this unit taken in the mid nineties working in lease service for National Railway Equipment still wearing IC black and on lease to BNSF at the time. Unsure where it went after that.
Mark Mautner

Date: 01/13/11 20:49
Author: zephyrus

Reportedly became NREX 9450. There are photos of it on-line as late as 2005. A 2009 roster still shows it being owned by NRE.

9451, ex-C&G 702 reportedly wrecked 9/29/89.

Z

Date: 01/13/11 21:00
Author: DrLoco

Are these the ones that originally had the baby fuel tanks and a tool-crate boxy thing underneath the frame where the rest of the fuel tank would be?

Date: 01/14/11 04:28

Thanks for the info. Seems interesting to me that C&G would sell these units and keep the older GP7s. I have noticed lately that they now have a couple SD40s on the Steel Mill job.

Date: 01/14/11 06:02
Author: njmidland

CandG72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the info. Seems interesting to me that
> C&G would sell these units and keep the older
> GP7s. I have noticed lately that they now have a
> couple SD40s on the Steel Mill job.

As a condition of the IC-GM&O merger, C&G was absorbed into the new ICG - kind of like how the New Haven was forced upon Penn Central. The two SD28's were immediately sent elsewhere by the ICG. C&G ceased to exist at that point.

The ICG operated C&G only in segments around its North-South lines and embargoed the rest. When local politicians and shippers complained the ICG offer to sell it to them. Locals and fans bought stock at $2 a share and were able to buy it back and create the "new C&G" - they referred to it as CAGY which was also the new reporting mark. The C&G got to keep the Baldwins and got a number of SW's, but the SD's were not included in the deal. Weirdly enough the ICG threw in an ex-IC business car named "King Cotton" on the C&G (now for sale on Ozark Mountain Railcar.

The CAGY struggled to survive in the 70's, and 80's, became profitable in the 90's. A huge new steel plant was built in Artesia, MS several years ago and that is when G&W bought them out. 100 of those original $2 shares of stock became one new share back in the 90's and for those who held on until G&W ended up getting about $16,000!

Tim

Date: 01/14/11 08:06

One of my favorite Rail Roads to rail fan on. There shops in Columbus Ms. are like a walk back in time. They have had a major cleanup since they have been taken over. Thanks again to all who have replied to this post. I will try and get some pictures up of some of the {new} power that they have been running and also some of CAGY 2000 since it has been renumbered and repainted to G & W colors.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds