Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rail Train Photo Request/Heads Up...

Date: 06/14/11 10:44
Rail Train Photo Request/Heads Up...
Author: KevinB

At approximately 1830-1930 hrs tonight, the CF&E will be departing the SDI Columbia City, IN Rail Division mill with 8.5 (17 linear) miles of rail for Vermont's ARRA HSR Project. We are placing special labels on the bottom outside rail ends as part of a special photo project we've been working on with this train. The train will be the 6-level TYOX train and will be routed CF&E to Chicago-IHB; Blue Island and CN-Markham, IL; CN will then take the train east via the Port Huron/Sarnia Gateway; on to Toronto and Montreal with final delivery to St. Albans, VT and the NECR.

If anyone manages to grab photos of this train and/or the 4.5 x 20" stickers on thelowest level rail ends along the journey, please let me know as we may have interest in purchasing some of these.

Please email inquiries or sightings to kevin@steelwheelsphotography.com

Many thanks, happy hunting and stay safe!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/14/11 14:21
Re: Rail Train Photo Request/Heads Up...

More info...

Trace cars are TYOX 500-530 (not all inclusive); logos are on TYOX 512 and TYOX 517 - either end of the train.

Doug Rees-Evans of SDI places the logos on one section...
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w206/eastrail/76cc0bcf.jpg

The logo itself...
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w206/eastrail/df1ff5e9.jpg

Departure set for 1830-1930 from SDI...

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/14/11 15:09
Author: Bath_wildcat

Will this train come through Lima, Ohio on the CF&E? If it does there are plenty of places here I can manage to grab a few shots for ya. Sounds like it might be an eastbound. What will the power be and the treain symbol? Will need that info so I can tune in on the scanner.

Date: 06/14/11 15:50
Author: wabash2800

Mike:

He said it was going west to Chicago and then east on the old Grand Truck through Michigan, to Canada and then down to Vermont.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/11 15:51 by wabash2800.

Date: 06/14/11 15:53

Worth a shot to try to help out.

Date: 06/14/11 16:04
Author: DoctorThunder

Mike, it's worth a shot to actually read what he said. He gave the exact routing the train would take.

Date: 06/14/11 19:00

Rail Train 12 for NECR departed the mill WESTBOUND to Chicago at 2030 hrs with freshly washed CF&E 3882 leading...some snafu while the final rail (#54) was loaded. Got some great aerial shots this eve and will update with photos later.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/15/11 15:18

I did read it. I had thought it would come through Lima from the east heading westbound, although there is a rail train with solid I&O power at Cole St.

Date: 06/15/11 15:23

That train should go east...that's 136-pound Nippon and SDI combined that was completed on Friday and pulled Friday night. Not our project train though. Ours is now in Chicago...

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/15/11 17:38
Author: toledopatch

When the earthquake moves Columbia City, Indiana east of Lima, I'll make sure there's something about that in the newspaper.

Date: 06/17/11 20:11
Author: Ron

Kevin,

Is anybody keeping tabs on this train? Has it left Chicago yet?

I'm in Battle Creek, Michigan, and have been watching for it the best I can. But as near as I can tell it hasn't made it here yet. Has it?

On a side note to this train and the rail itself. My understanding from your other posts is that this is newly rolled 115 pound rail. I don't know how to ask without sounding stupid, but why in this day of 286000 pound axle loads are they laying new 115 pound mainline rail instead of say .... 136 pound, or even heavier, rail?

Isn't 136 pound rail about the industry normal now? I'm curious about cost. What is the difference in cost in new 115 pound as opposed to new 136 pound rail? I would think that if they're going to spend the money and time for new rail they would of spent the additional money to go with the heavier 136 pound rail.

My experience (38 years on GTW/CN) has been mostly looking out the front window of a locomotive. Whenever existing rail was replaced with new it was almost always replaced with heavier rail.

Can you share some thought about this?

Thanks,

Ron

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds