Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Eastern VA and Eastern NC places to see?

Date: 09/02/14 13:20
Eastern VA and Eastern NC places to see?
Author: 03wrxguy

Hi all,

Headed down to an ultimate destination of New Bern, NC for a week this coming Sunday and want to make a few stops along the way to check out some things.

So far this is my thought per some other friends suggestions but maybe others have some other good spots I'm missing along the way

- quick stop to check out the Buckingham Branch in Doswell, VA (I believe this is the city name)
- quick stop to check out the Carolina Central in Wilson, NC
- Selma, NC @ the station ( long stop to fan for a while

I'll probably be getting a hotel in Selma, NC Sunday night and spend most of the day in Selma, or at least that was the partial plan as of now. Any good spots in Selma other than the station?

I know New Bern has a NS local that runs down to the military base occasionally. Hopefully I'll get lucky with one of those while im down there.....looks like some street running in town too.

Thanks ahead of time all
-Kevin

Date: 09/02/14 13:26
Re: Eastern VA and Eastern NC places to see?
Author: toledopatch

I don't know how much of the Buckingham Branch you'll see with a "quick stop" at Doswell. I do believe they base an engine there for a local, but whether you see it surely depend on when you show up.

Date: 09/02/14 13:51
Author: ctillnc

http://www.ncdot.gov/download/performance/NCMINmaps/RailMap.pdf

Yes, New Bern has a short distance of street running -- not just the occasional military train (which comes off the main line near Havelock) but the more frequent trains to the port at Morehead City, where there is running down a much longer street median.

Carolina Coastal also operates what used to be called the Nash County RR at Rocky Mount. You aren't likely to see anything on the Raleigh end but there is traffic Wilson eastward.

There is the NCVA serving the steel mill in northeastern NC and the Clinton Terminal RR if you get that far south.

Amtrak and CSX offer a good volume of trains at Weldon, Rocky Mount, and Selma (with the occasional NS movement at Selma too).

Date: 09/02/14 14:22

Yeah im more or less just going to hop off 95 and see if anythings hanging out at Carolina Coastal and Buckingham so its not going to be a long time spent there....shoot whatevers around if anythings around and move on....

Date: 09/02/14 14:58
Author: Lackawanna484

Selma and Smithfield NC make a good place to stop. There's a huge outlet mall for folks so disposed, too. When I drive to Florida, it's usually a go-to place to stop.

The station is very nicely restored, and usually attended. Very nice folks. The angles are OK, as there's a fence on the NS side which extends out for a block or so. You can see the signals, so you have an idea of what's happening. In my visits, CSX activity outnumbers NS by 4 or 5 to 1.

There's a small car repair shop with several small engines nearby at [Pine] Level. Right under I-95. Edited to reflect later info

If you're coming from the north, I highly recommend a stop at Rocky Mount. Lovely old train station, lovingly restored, and open to all. Amtrak stops there, too.

Non-rail stuff...

I like the Hampton Inn at the Smithfield exit of I-95. It backs up on the CSX main, so you'll hear trains all night. OK breakfast, and they've always been generous with ice for the ice chest.

Really enjoy the White Swan Cafe, a few miles south on NC 301 - Greenleaf Avenue, this is tobacco country. Crispy fried chicken, good pulled pork. Nehi orange drink.

There's a JR tobacco place at the same exit as the Hampton Inn. Incredibly cheap cigarettes and cigars, perfumes, etc. JR has billboards every few hundred feet for about 50 miles so it's hard to miss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/14 18:49 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 09/02/14 17:37
Author: LoadLimited

Be in Selma when Amtrak 79 comes thru a little after 4pm. If it's halfway ontime there is usually a NS westbound waiting to go from Pine Level behind them.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/02/14 19:08
Author: RFandPFan

Rocky Mount, NC is worth the stop. There is a restored station that used to be a Division HQ. CSX has a very active yard, lots of traffic.

Date: 09/02/14 19:47
Author: Benched_it

Fayetteville might be a stretch for you but it has decent action at night.
You can usually catch the juice train, auto train and about four more Amtraks
I think? Several intermodal and manifest trains as well...

Jay

Date: 09/03/14 08:15
Author: rbx551985

Just south of Petersburg, Va., and a few miles west of I-95, is N. COLLIER YARD -- where every Saturday, and often on Sunday, railfans congregate at the north end of the yard (gravel parking, parallel to CSX's A-Line) where CSX's mainline passes above the NS mainline, for twice the number of daily trains of all types. To get there, if you're going south from Richmond on I-95, take I-85 southward at downtown Petersburg (20 minutes south of Richmond). Exit the FIRST exit off of I-85, which is Squirrel Level Rd. Turn left. Go just under 1 mile, PASSING the overhead bridge above the A-Line.... just around the next curve is a small highway bridge above the NS mainline, and the gravel area railfans park on is on your left JUST PAST the bridge over NS. Park parallel to the A-Line, as per CSX's request for train-watching there; the abutment above the NS mainline across the street is where many railfans sit while waiting, and also where they shoot many photos of passing trains. Most Saturdays and Sundays, railfans will congretate here, and after Auto Train's southbound roll-by around 6pm, the group heads out to any of several local eateries for food and conversation, mostly about trains.

BELOW is a shot of the abutment at N. Collier Yard taken FROM a train, looking up at railfans who were filming us. I took this shot myself from the 2011 Red Unit Circus Train, looking up at fellow railfans who I often hang out with while railfanning Collier Yard!

The second photo is of N. Collier Yard's parking area, as seen from the 2012 Blue Unit Circus Train as we glided northbound out of Collier Yard. The image displays the area where railfans park along the CSX A-Line. Remember that CSX requests we park PARALLEL to the rail line, for greater safety. Also in this shot: note the silver guard rail across the street from the parked vehicles: it's the SAME GUARD RAIL seen in the first image, looking up from the NS line. The site is truly unique, and the best spot in the region to see trains from both railroads throughout any given day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/14 08:17 by rbx551985.

Date: 09/03/14 08:25
Author: ctillnc

Yes, between approx 1130 and sundown, you will see Amtrak 92, 89, 80, 79, 90, 91, and 53 passing Collier... not necessarily in that order.

Date: 09/03/14 10:24
Author: Benched_it

I'm glad you posted this rbx551985 as I've wanted to visit this spot myself.
Thank you!

Jay

Date: 09/03/14 10:47

Thanks for the spot in Petersburg...may check that out. We have to check out from New Bern on friday AM so that area may be a good spot to check out in the evening of Friday, stay over near there then fan a bit Saturday again before making the rest of the trip back to PA.

Date: 09/03/14 20:22
Author: emd_mrs1

While passing through Richmond on I95, presuming you do not use the I-295 beltway, you have two nearby options.

To see the old RF&P now CSX Bryant Park engine terminal:

Exit onto Boulevard, turn right, then right on Broad Street, right on Malvern Ave, then a quick left onto Dabney Road, then right onto Tomlyn street. The engine facility is at a sharp curve. Do not go past the side of the road. This is an afternoon shot.

To see the Southern now NS engine facility on the South side of the James:

Take exit 73, turn left at end of ramp onto Muarry Street, right onto Commerce Street, then right onto Perry Street. DO not go into the rail facility street.

Both of these are easy to find on google maps.

There is also a rail museum at Hull and 2nd street in the old Southern station. The triple crossing is directly across the river.

There is a C&O 2-8-4 displayed at the science museum in the old RF&P broad street station.

Down in Wilson, NC, there is the Antique Barn hobby shop maybe 5 miles off the interstate (across from Bill Ellis BBQ Buffet)

In New Bern there are two switchers that look like ex MoPac just before the river drawbridge.

Back up at Doswell, I've usually found something BB related parked there and you are at the RF&P-CSX / C&O-CSX diamond. If you have time Ashland is also a nice safe stop to see some passing trains.

Enjoy your trip
Michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/14 10:58 by emd_mrs1.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0773 seconds