Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Horn Duel: Amtrak vs. CN

Date: 09/13/14 08:30
Horn Duel: Amtrak vs. CN
Author: es44fan

Originally, the plan was to get the northbound Adirondack at Alplaus Road just north of the CP Mohawk Yard in Upstate New York. Turns out the trip would result in one of the best videos I have shot. As Amtrak approaches from the south, I turn and see a southbound CN Freight entering the yard for Amtrak. Conveniently, these two trains got to the crossing at roughly the same time, starting a horn duel. The results: CN won both the duel and the race to the crossing as it blocked Amtrak in my shot. But I think it still came out great.

1: The video of Amtrak and CN racing towards the crossing at Alplaus Road.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/13/14 11:00
Re: Horn Duel: Amtrak vs. CN
Author: Thumper

Did you notice how Amtrak dimmed its head lights just before the CN locomotive passed?
Normal practise however still interesting.

Also too the crossing bells are the traditional bell; not that
sick sounding electronic device.

Bryce Lee
Burlington, Ontario

Date: 09/14/14 05:03
Author: ns1000

Nice video!!!

Date: 09/15/14 03:47
Author: JPB

Excellent video! It's very rare to see this freight, the Montreal to Enola NS 930 train, powered by a single locomotive, let alone a CN engine. It usually has two NS locomotives. Also, first time I've seen a depressed center bulkhead flat car built to haul lumber.

Date: 09/15/14 05:48
Author: hwb36604

Great catch

Date: 09/15/14 06:34
Author: SR2

Interesting placement of the Chlorine tank car at the rear of
the freight.....

Date: 09/17/14 13:54
Author: rbx551985

As for myself, I'm most impressed that the Canadian freight car fleet appears almost (if not completely) grafitti-free, unlike most American fleet freight cars. "Idle hands," I guess....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds