Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Finger Lakes Railway Railfanning

Date: 03/26/15 11:28
Finger Lakes Railway Railfanning
Author: IRP

This Saturday, my family and I will be heading to Montreal, Quebec for my sister to compete in the World Irish Dance Competition. We may be able to stop at the Finger Lakes Railway so I can take some photos of the trains. Can anybody give me some information about the railroad's operations, the amount of trains that run on their line each day, the best spots to catch trains, and where their yards are? Any information is appreciated.

Nolan Majcher
Broadview Heights, OH
Nolan Majcher Photography

Date: 03/26/15 15:49
Re: Finger Lakes Railway Railfanning
Author: IC1026

Take me with u jk lol good luck! I hope u guys have an awesome time I wish I could catch them but I will settle for tonights 309 with that Blue Devil.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/26/15 16:28
Author: toledopatch

Finger Lakes' main hub is Geneva, NY right off NY5-US20, but photo angles in there are tight and they don't like people crossing the tracks. I'm not sure how much you'll find them running there on a Saturday. They also keep an engine at Himrod Junction and one at Solvay, but the Himrod engine might go to Geneva for servicing on the weekend. The Solvay engine is a remote-control job in a large industrial park and that could well run seven days a week, but access to much of its stomping grounds is difficult.

Date: 03/26/15 18:14
Author: CSabresXr1

FGLK runs a Saturday turn from Geneva to Himrod and back, which generally uses the newly-acquired SD38-2s in FGLK paint.  On duty 0700, and they'll also build Sunday's GS2 and dogcatch anything that outlawed the night before.  There's a Solvay switcher too, but it's usually inaccessible for photos.

Date: 03/30/15 19:32
Author: superchief1944

Railfan Magazine had an excellent and very comprehensive article on Finger Lakes in the past few months. It included an excellent map and information on train starts and schedules. I assume that you can find it on their web-site.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds