Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NJ: CSX's Overpeck Creek bridge to be updated

Date: 01/06/17 14:13
NJ: CSX's Overpeck Creek bridge to be updated
Author: Lackawanna484

CSX's River Line in NJ crosses Overpeck Creek just south of CP 6 and the NYS&W engine facility.  NorthJersey.com reports plans are underway to update and rebuild this ancient but still used bridge.  This was originally New York Central territory, and once had six tracks side by side. Four NYC tracks uo Dumont, and two NYS&W about 50 feet west. The CSX line links its North Bergen facility and the connections to Philadelphia with the line north to Selkirk NY.

The line carries "five to 15" oil trains weekly, down from "15 to 30" trains back in the boom. Another bridge has already been updated to hold the busy line.

Spans carry oil trains

Date: 01/06/17 14:18
Re: NJ: CSX's Overpeck Creek bridge to be updated
Author: pal77

Didn't CSX completely rebuild Overpeck draw when they double tracked from just east of the bridge up to CP 7.  Maybe that wasn't as complete a rebuild as it looked when done. 

Date: 01/06/17 14:34
Author: koetting14

Think there talking about the NYS&W drawbridge. Its been in the works for a rebuilt for quite a while. CSX side is doubled tracked and rebuilt a whole ago.

Date: 01/06/17 14:44

The article mentions that the NYS&W will be / might be replaced with a separate project.

Date: 01/06/17 14:59
Author: njmidland

The other issue is that Overpeck Creek is theoretically navagatible.  The NYS&W bridge can be opened - they did it manually about 10 years ago.  The CSX bridge can no longer be opened.  My understanding is that Conrail/CSX have paid an annual fine to the Coast Guard for the non-working opening.  I assume the fine is not enough to fix it (the NYS&W no doubt opened it to avoid the fine).  I remember seeing a tug with a barge go through in the late 1960's - but not since.  Perhaps at this point the waterway has been (or could be) declared "non-navagatible"?

Tim

Date: 01/06/17 15:19
Author: DocJohn

First, bridge was rebuilt in 2002.  Slide was taken 20 Oct 2002.  Came upon the CP5 scene by accident as I was in NJ for 40th NVRHS reunion.  Second, even when New York Central River Division was running numerous trains a day, bridge, which was known as Little Ferry drawbridge, was only two tracks.  Not only from personal memory, but from pictures and track diagrams in Bernhart's "The New York Central Railroad, Stations & Structures Pictorial", Vol 2: The River Division.  Tracks went from 4 to 2 just south of Overpeck Creek (Tower was "FY") and continued as 2 tracks to a bit past the point where they went under NJ Route 6.  Also confirmed track arrangement with ETT No. 76 of April 25, 1954.

JL

Date: 01/06/17 15:41

Thanks for that additional info.  In your excellent picture, that's the NYS&W bridge in the background.

For the young 'uns "NJ Route 6" is known today as Route 46 through Ridgefield Park

Date: 01/06/17 16:09

You are very welcome, Lackawanna 484.  Track diagrams in the Bernhart book had a 1951 date and showed NJ 6 and not US 46.

JL

Date: 01/06/17 16:18
Author: CPR_4000

In your photo it looks like the ex-NYC bridge was completely out of service during the construction. What was done during the double tracking? Did one approach trestle get replaced (for the new track) and the existing one not?

Just looked at the Google satellite photo and it looks like the westerly CR track has wood ties and the easterly one (added during double tracking?) has concrete. Looks like the original swing span might still be in place.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/17 16:24 by CPR_4000.

Date: 01/06/17 17:07

You are correct.  Google aerial photo at https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8465248,-74.0273184,154m/data=!3m1!1e3 shows that 2002 construction only the northern third of the bridge under Track 2 was replaced.

Also, please remember that when the line was single tracked around 1960-61 there were only three through freight trains in each direction and a local.  Signal system was ABS with spring switches at the sidings.

JL

Date: 01/06/17 17:17
Author: CPR_4000

What were the 3 through freights in the early 60's? I lived in Weehawken back then and every afternoon a mixed freight went north. I'd also see a couple unit coal trains a week off CNJ/RDG/B&O and Lehigh Valley, which I always figured were for Public Service at Ridgefield Park, but some might have gone north to the cement plants.

I'd guess back then there also would have been an ML (auto racks) for Ridgefield Park and an SV (Flexi-Vans) for North Bergen. Was that about it?

Date: 01/06/17 17:21

I think it may now be possible to cross over from the River Line southbound to The NYSW at CP6 go across their bridge into the yard and cross back to the NYC at Bellemans yard. Through the intermodal yard.

That was accomplished after the CR division.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/06/17 18:33

Except for the summers of '63, 64, and '65, my last year at home (Haworth) was 1962.  I could see the trains when the leaves were off the trees,  ETT #10 of 4/29/62 had WB-3, WV-5 and WD-1 leaving Weehawken at 8:05 p.m., 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. respectively.  No schedules were givien for eastbound trains.  As I recall, all trains were general merchandise.

JL

Date: 01/07/17 08:20
Author: rev66vette

njmidland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The other issue is that Overpeck Creek is
> theoretically navagatible.  The NYS&W bridge can
> be opened - they did it manually about 10 years
> ago.  The CSX bridge can no longer be opened. 
> My understanding is that Conrail/CSX have paid an
> annual fine to the Coast Guard for the non-working
> opening.  I assume the fine is not enough to fix
> it (the NYS&W no doubt opened it to avoid the
> fine).  I remember seeing a tug with a barge go
> through in the late 1960's - but not since. 
> Perhaps at this point the waterway has been (or
> could be) declared "non-navagatible"?
>
> Tim

Last navigable movement on the Overpeck Creek was a barge to the PSE&G plant during the first Arab oil embargo in the 70's.....the creek was later dredged in the early 80's but no movements have been made on it since.. Spoke with a contractor at the time it was dredged who stated the dredging was done to allow ample water supply to the PSE&G plant to cool the turbines, and had nothing to do with any marine traffic...One can see at low tides how this area is no doubt not navigable and probably never will be.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0725 seconds