Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Model Railroading > SP Fantasies

Date: 11/21/05 14:55
SP Fantasies
Author: Hazmat

Here is SD80MAC # 873, also have built 800, 801, & 836. Theory is SP bought 75 units 800-874. Also Have SP with SD90MAC's replacing the tunnel motors and SD40R's numbers 900-1749. Model is complete of 1004, with 900 and 1342 in the building phase.

Hazmat

Date: 11/21/05 14:57
Re: SP Fantasies

Not a locomotive, but I threw this together today while sitting home with the new baby.

Thought the grey cars were just way to boring so I expanded on the use of the sunset shield. Since it was on boxcars and gondolas & AC4400CW 146 (even though it was a joke), should'nt be to hard to imagine this hapening if UPEEEEEEEEEE had not destroyed everthing.

Hazmat

Date: 11/21/05 15:17
Author: tracktime

Cool what-if.. And Crisply executed to boot!

Though I do wonder if the SP would have put the numberboards "up top" above on this mythical 90MAC as they always have on their GEs and EMD widenose units.. Either way.. Nice Job!

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 11/21/05 15:30

Harry,

That was a result of impatience on my part, I could not get the part that I wanted to do it right but was wanting the moded to come along so I skipped that change. Unit 800 has a Red warning light between thewindows above the cab.....intended for coal service when I first worked up the design.

Chris

Date: 11/21/05 21:22
Author: DaveD

Cool... I've never felt you should be restrained to only be prototypical. As long as you have fun, who cares. :-) It's great that what you like can live on in your imagination.

Dave
-DPD Productions - Featuring the TrainTenna LP Gain RR Scanner Antenna-
http://eje.railfan.net/dpdp/

Date: 11/21/05 22:01
Author: Red

If SP (and or UP) had gotten SD80MAC's, in addition to the SD9043AC's, instead of the disastrous H-engined SD90AC, those units would be happily at toil today, rather than on the auction block as the great percentage of the SD90AC's are (the SD9043AC, in contrast, is a superb unit).

It is amazing what having just one 5000 or 6000 HP in your consist will do for you with regards to acceleration and speed range (based on a trip I had last weekend with a GE C60AC in the consist).

Date: 11/21/05 23:45
Author: tracktime

Hazmat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Harry,
>
>
> That was a result of impatience on my part, I
> could not get the part that I wanted to do it
> right but was wanting the moded to come along so I
> skipped that change. Unit 800 has a Red warning
> light between thewindows above the
> cab.....intended for coal service when I first
> worked up the design.
>
>
> Chris

No worries.. Like I said, they look good!

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 11/22/05 01:47
Author: fjc

I like it, I did a SD90 shell when the RPP's first came out, but I modified the cab by shaving off the # boards, filling in the nose headlight and door window. I used a set of # boards from a GP60M cab by putting them up onto the top of the cab above the windows, after modifying the area for a top mounted light between the # boards. I used SD70M style cab sunshades also instead of the standard widecab type sunshades, also did a few things here and there to say some SP practices carried over. And to continue off the SD70M # series, saying SP completed them to 9899, I started my SD90 # series at 9900. I sold that unit for nearly $300 bucks, had no idea it would bring in so much, however looking back I wish I kept it, or atleast had taken some photos.

The other one I wish I had kept was the SD40T-2 painted up for the NWP, it's basis was that Omnitrax picked up some SD40T-2's, one of them was a wrecked one that was off the SP roster and I choose this # as the unit to model. In all actuality it started out as a UP engine, but I wasn't satisfied with the way the paint job was coming out, so black & silver was quite easy to paint over the existing paint. I then went back and put in the SP nose light package and put the SP style horn back where it originally was, etc. That was a fun one, someone eventually bought that one too, I had several of my custom engines on consignment at a local shop. I do have photos of that one, I'll have to search for them.

Date: 11/22/05 08:38
Author: Ed_Gyptian

This one is still a work in progress...

Date: 11/22/05 08:39
Author: Ed_Gyptian

A closeup of the tender decaling. Lets see the 4449 like this but in daylight...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.084 seconds