Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Model Railroading > DCC Decoder Question

Date: 04/14/06 22:17
DCC Decoder Question
Author: Charles

Sorry if this has been covered before, but......

Are most of the DCC decoders out there dual-mode? The club I belong to is going to be adding DCC but will be retaining analog as well, so ideally I would like to put in decoders that can run or DCC or analog, so I don't have to maintain separate sets of locomotives.

Now I know what most of you are going to say, but we will never go totally DCC and there will be times when I will want to run in analog mode.

Thanks for the info,
Charles

Date: 04/14/06 22:40
Re: DCC Decoder Question
Author: ESPEE5318

The decoders that I have used TCS , NCE ,LOK yes they will run on DC. How good do they run in DC? That is debatable. They do run different more of a on or off there is some speed control but they will not move until about half throttle. My opinion is a loco is either DCC or analog but that is just my 2cents. Joe

Date: 04/15/06 06:41
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Most decoders are not dual mode. When I think of dual mode decoders,
I think of a switch that can be thrown to allow use of a DCC decoder,
or bypass the decoder and run on analog. You cannot put a locomotive
with a normal DCC decoder and run it on an analog model RR. You can
put one analog locomotive and run it on a DCC layout.

Lets say you want to run 10 trains on a DCC layout. 9 locomotives must
have DCC decoders and one can be analog and run on DCC address 03.
However, it will not run as well as DCC decodered locomotives.

Converting locomotives to DCC is not that hard - a little time consuming,
and some can be challenging, but hey - I have had some degree of fun
with every conversion I have done (about 50 or so). Try it and you
will probably wonder why you waited to make the switch.

Date: 04/15/06 08:47
Author: RioGrandeFan

Charles and ArgyleEagle,

All decoders will operate on regular DC unless you lock out that feature or the instructions say that it won't. It is an NMRA rule that all decoders must operate on regular DC. In CV 29 you can opt to lock out that feature or not. As long as you stick with the major decoder brands you have the option in CV 29 to lock out DC operation or not. Most decoders come factory programmed to allow DC operation.

I mostly use Lenz decoders and have found no issues operating a DCC equipped loco on DC. I also know Digitrax and NCE decoders will operate on DC as well. One thing you might need to do is turn the headlight on using DCC before operating on DC or it may not work on DC.

The only decoder with a "switch" to go from DC to DCC is the Atlas decoder. Having to pop a cover and change a switch or move a plug is a bit tedious each time you want to change from DC to DCC so this actually isn't the best approach.

Rest assured that if you install a Lenz, NCE, or Digitrax decoder in your locos you'll be able to operate your loco on DC.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 04/15/06 08:57
Author: atsfman

I am an NCE user, system and many decoders. Seems to me I recently read on the NCE user forum that NCE was going to drop support on dual decoders, strictly DCC. I haven't been to the NCE website recently, but I am sure they would be saying so if true.

Bob

Date: 04/15/06 11:13
Author: WrongWayMurphy

There is a difference in a dual mode decoder (one with a switch)
and a plain decoder. Both will work in DCC and DC. A dual mode
decoder, like the one Atlas uses, will work like any other DCC
engine when in DCC mode, and like any other alalog engine when
in analog mode. A standard DCC decoder will work well like
any other DCC equipped loco when used on a DCC system, but will
not run as well on DC. I may not have been clear on my first post,
but Chas needs to know that yes, you can run it but no, you won't
like the performance enough to want to use it. I don't know if
Atlas sells their dual modes separate from the loco, but if they do
that is the type you want to get if you plan to operate on DCC and DC.

Date: 04/15/06 11:33
Author: RioGrandeFan

Not sure what decoders you use but the locos I have with Lenz 1014 or Gold decoders run the same on DCC and on DC. No difference in operation at all. They run on DC like they did before a decoder was installed. Maybe other brands have their troubles but I've never had a Lenz decoder give strange operation on DC.

Also, the newer Atlas 4-function decoders (which are available separately) will operate on DC when in DCC mode so there is no need to use the switch or plug to change back and forth.

As far as I'm concerned dual-mode can mean a switch or an internal software setting on the decoder. A decoder that uses CV29 to decide "DC/DCC" or "DCC only" is technically dual-mode. There are two modes that can be set. Same as a switch to set "DC" or "DCC". Nice part about the software setting is that you don't have to pop a cover or take the shell off. You can go from a DCC layout to a DC layout instantly and still operate without doing anything to the loco.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 04/17/06 10:44
Author: BentnoseWillie

The early dual-mode Atlas decoder (the 341 and 342) bypassed the DCC portion of the board entirely when the plug is set to DC. I presume that this is still the case.

The idea was to get around the property of other decoders that when provided with straight DC, they waited for track voltage to reach a couple of extra volts before supplying it straight to the motor leads. Shunting out everything but a lighting circuit was meant to give the dual-mode decoder similar starting voltage to an equivalent loco with constant lighting only.

I started out using the dual-modes, and dropped 'em when I realized that I *never* used the feature.

Your mileage may vary, on approved credit, check local listings, etc.

Hating that word "analog", I remain:
B-Dubya

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0599 seconds