Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Model Railroading > DCC questions

Date: 11/21/12 11:40
DCC questions
Author: inCHI

I'm planning an HO layout with roughly 8 ft x 12 inches of two-level freight activity, and a loop with transit. I hope to have a few freight engines, some custom transit cars, but also lit signals, crossing gates, streetlights, building lights, etc.

Is DCC the best way to go? I'm somewhat shocked at starter sets priced in the mid-100's. Can anyone recommend a simple system in the lower end of that? What is required to run two units simultaneously (transit loop continuously while switching freight) Finally, is there a decoder for HO transit cars?

Date: 11/21/12 12:36
Re: DCC questions
Author: ATSF3751

inRVA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm planning an HO layout with roughly 8 ft x 12
> inches of two-level freight activity, and a loop
> with transit. I hope to have a few freight
> engines, some custom transit cars, but also lit
> signals, crossing gates, streetlights, building
> lights, etc.
>
> Is DCC the best way to go? I'm somewhat shocked
> at starter sets priced in the mid-100's. Can
> anyone recommend a simple system in the lower end
> of that? What is required to run two units
> simultaneously (transit loop continuously while
> switching freight) Finally, is there a decoder for
> HO transit cars?

Go DCC....the bit extra you pay for equipping locos and DCC powerpacks will more then make up for the aggravation you will have with standard DC and the complexity of wiring that comes with it.

Date: 11/21/12 13:21
Author: NDHolmes

If it's as simple as you want a yard area that can run on a different throttle than the mainline loop, then maybe DC is an option. Make the mainline one block, and make the siding/yard area another and put in a couple toggles to switch between throttles.

If you want any more complicated control than that, then let me strongly recommend DCC. On something as small as an 8x12, the power districts will probably need to be very small and granular to allow multiple trains to operate. The result is that you need lots of careful planning to figure out where the blocks go, and you may wind up spending most of your time twiddling with switches rather than running trains. Takes a lot of the fun out of it.

For something that small, your sum total wiring for DCC could be as simple as two sets of feeders to the track. No gaps, no cab switches, no nothing. You might need a reverser if your plan has a reverse loop or the like, and you may want to put more cab jacks in around the layout, but overall it should be less than an hour to wire. Cab control will take you more time and has a number of hidden costs, because you'll need control panels, more wires, toggles, a pair of DC throttles, etc.

If you're at all handy with electronics, there are a number of small command stations like the MiniDCC that could be built initially for much less cost. It works quite well for a small, low cost command station (I've used them on demonstration layouts in the past), and could tide you over until you're ready to spend the money on a commercial system.
http://www.minidcc.com/

Date: 11/21/12 14:07
Author: speederman01

Go DCC! Depending on your talent level, you can put a decoder in nearly any locomotive out there. Some are "DCC ready", others require substantially more work. As far as ease of operation and wiring, DCC is much more realistic, without all the headaches of individual blocks and switches. I would recommend that you take a look at the DCC systems available. Some are much easier to operate and program with than others. I have the North Coast Engineering power cab pro and cant say enough good about it. It is so easy to use and really has been problem free. Dave

Date: 11/21/12 14:20

Thanks for taking the time for these comments, they are very helpful. NDHolmes, the do-it-yourself idea seems like an interesting challenge that I may have to try.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/12 14:20 by inRVA.

Date: 11/21/12 14:22
Author: swsf

When you factor in the cost of power packs, toggle switches, panel construction, and wiring, the cost of a DCC starter set is not much different since it would eliminate much of the DC wiring and electrical components to hook it all up. I would never recommend building a DC layout in this day and age, no matter how small it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/12 14:23 by swsf.

Date: 11/21/12 16:30

NDHolmes Wrote:

> If you're at all handy with electronics, there are
> a number of small command stations like the
> MiniDCC that could be built initially for much
> less cost. It works quite well for a small, low
> cost command station (I've used them on
> demonstration layouts in the past), and could tide
> you over until you're ready to spend the money on
> a commercial system.
> http://www.minidcc.com/

Looking at that site, I haven't yet found a page where it explains the relationship of the electrical diagrams to the equipment shown in the picture - or, put another, I can't seem to find a basic start. The user manual doesn't seem clear on that either. Why, for example, is a calculator shown?

Date: 11/21/12 19:11
Author: WrongWayMurphy

You can get this for one cool Benjamin :

http://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Trains-Command-Digital-Controller/dp/B0006KSOA2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1353553489&sr=8-3&keywords=digitrax+zephyr

However you get what you pay for, and this is not what I would recommend. I recommend the Digitrax Zephyr or the NCE
PowerCab Starter Set like this one :

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Cab-DCC-Starter-Set/dp/B005M8GRKW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1353553619&sr=8-6&keywords=digitrax+zephyr

I would definitely go DCC whatever you do and if intimidated by decoder installations, most hobby shops will install them for a modest fee or recommend someone who can. But trust me, you can do it if you can follow simple instructions. Just Google
"DCC decoder installation" and you will get all the info you need to get it done properly.

Date: 11/21/12 21:39

> However you get what you pay for, and this is not
> what I would recommend. I recommend the Digitrax
> Zephyr or the NCE
> PowerCab Starter Set like this one :

Seems like a good setup, ordered, thanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0665 seconds