Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Model Railroading > Problems with an Athearn Genesis GP-9

Date: 06/18/13 07:31
Problems with an Athearn Genesis GP-9
Author: aehouse

I've been having trouble with a recently purchased DCC Athearn Genesis GP-9. It periodically stalls or wholly loses the DCC signal, not often but enough to be annoying, and in particular locations where none of my other locomotives show any problems. I've tried different throttles, with the same results. It stalls in areas that (like all places on the layout) are thoroughly wired and with soldered rail joints.

Was wondering if these symptoms suggest anything to any of you, and I'd welcome suggestions as to what to do to try to troubleshoot or resolve the issue. Does Athearn have a good diagnostic/repair service?

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/13 07:55 by aehouse.

Date: 06/18/13 08:28
Re: Problems with an Athearn Genesis GP-9
Author: ACR_Ted

Check to see if any of the 'push-on' power connectors on the board are loose or have fallen off. I usually remove them and solder the wires directly to the board. I once had a unit that the power pickup wires from one truck were bad so the engine was only running with one truck picking up power.

Ted

Date: 06/18/13 08:37
Author: mp_eagle

Check that both trucks are getting power. Sometimes the truck leads will pull away from the clip. Also check that grade crossings, guard rails or switches are not causing the truck to lift off the rails. The gearbox has minimum clearance above the rail-head.

As an aside, my GP9's have not experienced this problem.
Chet

Date: 06/18/13 08:44
Author: PHall

mp_eagle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check that both trucks are getting power.
> Sometimes the truck leads will pull away from the
> clip. Also check that grade crossings, guard
> rails or switches are not causing the truck to
> lift off the rails. The gearbox has minimum
> clearance above the rail-head.
>
> As an aside, my GP9's have not experienced this
> problem.
> Chet

Heck, check the gearbox cover to make sure it's all the way on and not hanging a bit low.

Date: 06/18/13 08:47
Author: WrongWayMurphy

The F's had a problem with the bad wiper contacts on the wheels causing
intermittent power problems, especially on frogs. I would have thought
they would correct this with the new run of geeps, but maybe ?????

Date: 06/18/13 09:34
Author: Frank30

I had (have) this problem with a B&M sound equipped GP9 that I bought about 9? months back from
Train World. They were of no help when called, because I was using it with NCE and they didn't
(at that time) sell NCE. They recommended I call Athearn.

I did call Athearn and explained the problem and they told me that others had had that problem
and gave me the fix (which I don't remember what it was this far down the line) and told me if it
didn't work, send in to them and they would take care of it. I guess it must have worked for a while
as I did not send it back.

The problem started up again, I just keep the wheels extremely clean. For the price we're now paying
for HO engines, I really expect them to be problem free, but I guess that's not going to happen.
That would kill a lot of postings on TO if everything worked perfectly!

Hope this is of some help

Frank30

Date: 06/18/13 09:43
Author: toledopatch

There have been some other threads about the problem you describe. I don't recall how long ago they appeared, but I remember seeing one and how the intermittent/brief stall problem matched what I observed with a friend's new GP9 on a very well-built layout. Some of the answers given here resemble what was said previously, but you might try using the Search function to see if any responses to previous threads are also helpful to you.

Date: 06/18/13 11:24
Author: brfriedm

I see allot of complaints about poor running Athearn Genesis GP7 and 9's in forums.

I saw this article. Maybe it will help.

Bruce

http://www.qsisolutions.com/products/techinfo/titan/genesis_pickup_problems.html

Date: 06/18/13 11:25
Author: markloos

I have the same problem. Sent it back to Athearn. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Sent it back with nothing done. Still has the same problem. I now simply run it as #2 engine in a combine behind a Kato GP35. Runs pretty well, but you can still hear the slight "sound glitch" before the GP35 pulls it through. Needless to say, I won't buy any more which is a shame as the model itself and the sound is beautiful. YMMV
Mark <><

Date: 06/18/13 11:45
Author: Kemacprr

Art try this. Get a piece of paper towel and place it over both rails. Run the engine over the paper towel. If the engine quits when one truck is on the paper towel then the truck still on the rail has pickup problems. If you find one truck with a pickup problem then do the paper towel method on one rail only to find out if it's only a one rail problem with the truck. I also eliminate the plastic clips that Athearn uses to attach the wires to the circuit board. I've found a number of these that do not do their job. Some soldering eliminates this problem. Also clean the wheels even if they look clean. When made they use a oil like coating that is almost invisible. You can use the same paper towel !!! --------------Ken

Date: 06/18/13 11:46
Author: TCnR

A neighbor agrees that 'Electrolub' solves any problem except a plugged toilet. I'll bet I can get an argument over that as well.

-------------------------------------------------------
> I see allot of complaints about poor running
> Athearn Genesis GP7 and 9's in forums.
>
> I saw this article. Maybe it will help.
>
http://www.qsisolutions.com/products/techinfo/titan/genesis_pickup_problems.html

I was looking at an Athearn Tunnel motor the other day and was surprised how much soldering is in there except for the power feeds to the circuit board. You would think that would be the most critical connection to be soldered. I guess it has something to do with the modular production design.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/13 11:49 by TCnR.

Date: 06/18/13 13:37
Author: aehouse

Thanks to everyone who replied. I now have a number of options to try, and I'll get busy.

Art House

Date: 06/19/13 05:43
Author: Frank30

Adding to my post of 6/18 above: I now remember one of the problems Athearn said to take care of:
they said there may be an excess of lubrication where the wheel axles go into the end caps, so take
out the wheel sets and try to get something into the holes to remove the grease.
Frank30

Date: 06/23/13 14:39
Author: schmo

I also got an Athearn Genesis DRGW GP9 locomotive and I'd only had some problems with it but i think it is a great sounding and a great running locomotive but i do agree that Athearn needs too get there heads out of there butt's and start making HO Sound locomotives the right way or if not nobody will buy them period.

Alex Schmollinger
Dallas Texas.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1167 seconds