Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn Genesis GP38 DCC/Sound interruptions

Date: 04/12/14 20:32
Athearn Genesis GP38 DCC/Sound interruptions
Author: UP951West

A buddy of mine recently bought one of the new GP 38 MoP sound DCC units from Athearn Genesis and has had problems with it stopping and of course losing sound on our DCC club layout. All other DCC locos run without problems (not sound equipped).The track is cleaned with a alcohol soaked rag regularly. That evening two other DCC locos ran without a problem a few minutes before on the same track. Are sound equipped locos that finicky? If so, I don't want the hassle for the extra cost.

Can any of you help us figure out what's wrong ?

Also would appreciate any opinions of sound equipped HO locomotives and reliability. THANKS !

Date: 04/12/14 21:29
Re: Athearn Genesis GP38 DCC/Sound interruptions
Author: RailThunder

Check the pick up wires from the trucks to the decoder. It sounds like it's not picking up on all of the wheels like it should.

Date: 04/12/14 21:33
Author: up421

UP951West Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A buddy of mine recently bought one of the new GP
> 38 MoP sound DCC units from Athearn Genesis and
> has had problems with it stopping and of course
> losing sound on our DCC club layout. All other DCC
> locos run without problems (not sound
> equipped).The track is cleaned with a alcohol
> soaked rag regularly. That evening two other DCC
> locos ran without a problem a few minutes before
> on the same track. Are sound equipped locos that
> finicky? If so, I don't want the hassle for the
> extra cost.
>
> Can any of you help us figure out what's wrong ?
>
> Also would appreciate any opinions of sound
> equipped HO locomotives and reliability. THANKS !

Last October there was some discussion on Athearn Genesis Geeps and power pick up issues.

Link: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3198857,3198857#msg-3198857

Hope this is of some help with your friend's difficulties.

Cheers!

Bob

Date: 04/12/14 21:37
Author: markloos

I have basically the same problem. Spoke with Soundtraxx and they suggested using VERY flexible wire and solder directly to the trucks. haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Surprisingly, I had the exact same problem with Kato sd40-2 units. Did the soldering modification and they are now rock solid! I'll try to get to the Genesis unit in the next few days a report back the results.
Mark <><

Date: 04/17/14 08:09
Author: KA7008

Whenever I get a new loco or install DCC, I perform a simple test: run at speed step 1 and slightly lift the rear truck to confirm it still runs, then lift the front truck. This very quickly has uncovered factory defects with the truck wires without taking the unit apart. Obviously the above remedies of replacing or soldering the wires is best, but at least you know right away if there's a serious issue.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds