Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Model Railroading > Looking for Inormation on C&LE

Date: 12/15/14 15:11
Looking for Inormation on C&LE
Author: georgiaroad

All,

I recently bought into a collection of prototype freelance locomotives and rolling stock on Ebay. The railroad is the C&LE, or Cincinnati & Lake Erie or possibly the Cumberland and Lake Erie. The logos and rolling stock appear to date back to the 1990s and have been stored by the second or third owner for nearly a dozen years. The locomotives are combinations of Athearn Blue Box and RPP shells with bass motor upgrades, All have detailing, custom brass handrails and MV lenses. The logo caught my eye, and I thought such a railroad would be a great buyout merger with my Georgia Road.

My question is does anyone recognize this equipment or know anything about it (see attached pictures from Ebay sale). I would like to try to preserve the original concept and the stuff I purchased will not be altered as it looks great as is. I even went so far as to knock off new decals to add equipment to the roster. I did a very DEEP meta search on Google and other search engines. I found a C&LE but is a transition era layout and does not have any obvious links to the equipment I have.

Anyone know anything? I figure these models were built in the late 1990s as they follow typical detailing and kitbashing rules of the time.

Date: 12/15/14 15:13
Re: Looking for Inormation on C&LE

There was what I call the "Dark Horse" scheme also...

Date: 12/15/14 15:14

These look like Rail Graphics decals, as they are number jumbles and three logo sizes

Date: 12/15/14 15:22

I decided to add my own bend on the paint scheme by adding the text to the long hood. I could not match the font and noticed there are deviations so I used a SOUTHERN font to approximate these.

Date: 12/15/14 15:25

Yes, Virginia, there is a model...err...I think I got that crossed up some how...Santa came early for me anyway.

Thanks for any replies!

H in AL

Date: 12/16/14 05:54
Author: BelltuckyFoamductor

No idea who it is, but the logo is actually kind of cool!

Date: 12/16/14 08:42
Author: Kemacprr

There was a local modeler that had the Cumberland and Lake Erie years back. His name was Bill Gillespie. He had multiple eras. The transition era was green and yellow I believe. He did have a more modern era and those units look familar. Years back he was the president of the Schuykill Model RR club in Phoenixville Pa. I think he now works for NS in the Philadelphia area. -------------Ken

Date: 12/17/14 05:43
Author: navarch1

....seems to me there was a feelancer not too long ago who was doing a Chesapeake & Lake Erie line....used to post images of "to be" power on the Atlas site....I think I have that right....blue locos with ...oh wait....C&LE is the North Shore Model RR Club in Wakefield, MA..."Chesapeake System"...that is why it seems so familiar as a name. http://www.nsmrc.org/about.html

C&LE is one of their component roads....perhaps what you have there was someone's effort at an updating, or a model of a predecessor road?

Just a thought....

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0537 seconds