Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Model Railroading > What's under your tree?

Date: 12/15/14 16:28
What's under your tree?
Author: dt5855

Haven't had this out of the box in about 10 years. Lionel Large Scale. We also have the James set.

Date: 12/15/14 18:37
Re: What's under your tree?
Author: lizzard_45

This is running under the tree this year....

Paul Liddiard
Spanish Fork, UT

Date: 12/16/14 13:28
Author: oldSALrailfan

Paul,

I have the same Thomas set. It has been boxed up for about 10 yrs. as my boys grew out of the "toy trains". Funny thing is, one of my sons now works at NS!!
Thanks for posting the pics!

Matt
Chattanooga, Tn.

Date: 12/16/14 16:30
Author: TomCarter

Sorry about the crappy Iphone photo (I am disappointed with the Iphone 5 photo abilities; I had assumed they'd have been better). MTH Hudson and train on the Fastrack O36 with a K-Line WP caboose bringing up the rear, my 1949 Lionel 2026 pulling a few period postwar cars and a caboose, and my wife's On30 Thomas Kinkade train running around the third loop. The O36 runs around the tree and the Christmas Village both. My wife bought some various Christmas scented smoke fluids for the Hudson and loves it. I have a Seuthe smoke element for her On30 engine that I need to get off my butt and install for her. The 2026 tickles me pink though; a 65 year old toy and it runs like a watch. The only defect with it is the smoke pot isn't working (takes the old pill type smoke pellets). I am more versed in HO, so, I'll eventually take it in to someone who knows what they're doing to get that repaired or replaced eventually. My wife wants me to have it retrofitted to take liquid smoke, but, it's all original and I'm not very keen on the idea. At any rate, here it is, my Christmas tree/village setup.

Date: 12/16/14 16:36

Uno Mas...

Date: 12/16/14 21:41
Author: Harlock

Wow Tom.

My lionel stuff got unceremoniously sold at a garage sale in the 80s. The set was the same one that has been handed down in the family. All gone.

Now that I would like to have a train under the tree again I have to start from scratch. Planning on doing something next year; vintage lionel would be fun if I could find it for a decent price. There's just something about the smell of the sparking contacts and the transformer. Maybe some plasticville houses. The tree is now fake so it won't catch on fire. ;)

-M

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 12/16/14 21:47
Author: jkinzel

Great stuff everyone. hmmm... Last time I looked, the only thing under my tree was the cat. I'm sure he will be in it before long.

Date: 12/17/14 01:06

Oh trust me, we have our own version of Catzilla in "Skitz" the cat (I was pleasantly surprised to see the Dollar Store still had squirt guns for sale), but our oldest, Chloe, will lay on the floor for hours watching the trains run. If I don't turn them on for her, she'll meow and tap the track with her paw.

I set it up with an abbreviated run for Thanksgiving with the village and the O36 loop of track, but after Thanksgiving guests had left a few days later, I added the other 2 loops and expanded the larger one. Skitz likes to pick up the figures and accessories and arrange them in a pile, but thanks to the squirt guns, I cured her of that real quick. She HATES to be wet. That and she got goosed the other night with an O Scale SD40, she REALLY didn't like that; that engine is as big as she is.

I got my 1949 Lionel trains piece meal on the cheap. I got out of HO after 30 some odd years and had a guy looking to trade some O Scale for some of it, so, I traded an Atlas WP S4 for the 1949 Lionel 2-6-2 and am happy with the trade. I got the 1949 Lionel caboose on Ebay, in the box, for $12. The 1947 side dump I picked up with a 1951 Sunoco 2 dome tank for $15 at a local flea market and the reefer from 1951 I paid $10 at a local street fair. The rest, I either traded HO for or picked up deals on Ebay so it can be done. MTH Hudson I got for $125, the Weaver UP SD40-2 for $85, etc. I only bring the stuff out for the holidays, but if I had known how much fin the O gauge stuff is, I'd have left HO YEARS ago. When I move next Spring, I am building a new On30 layout, and the Lionel is all set for now, save for the Wife wants a 4449 and Daylight cars and I want a 1946 (only) Lionel #726 Berkshire. Other than that, I'm happy with what we have O scale 3 rail wise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/14 01:19 by TomCarter.

Date: 12/17/14 13:34
Author: wabash2800

I'm getting a couple of Rapido reefers from Des Plaines. I had forgot I ordered them a long time ago and got a call the other day. Des Plaines has been a good customer of mine, so I gladly paid up.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 12/17/14 19:15
Author: garr

Paul,

I did not notice your "yardmaster" in the first photo until I looked thru the thread a second time.

All, the trees and trains are looking nice.

Jay

Date: 12/18/14 07:15
Author: wabash2800

Oh, I miss my feline so...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0641 seconds