Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Model Railroading > KRK's O-gauge Layout (under construction)

Date: 05/21/15 20:32
KRK's O-gauge Layout (under construction)
Author: KeyRouteKen

Hi Everybody--  Here is a peek at the construction activities on KRK's new O-gauge layout--- since January-2015 I have been going very slow due to my health and other obligations.  First off, I had a couple of professional carpenters come in and construct the supporting base out of 2 x 6 kiln dried, whitewood studs covered by 1/2-inch plywood.
There were four separate modules in my living room.  Later on, I tied them all together with new 1/2-inch plywood sheets, so it looks like one big layout table to construct a layout on.  There are four supporting tables sitting on the carpeted floor.  Three tables have a weight limit of 2000 pounds while the smaller table is guaranteed for 850 pounds.
Rolling stock comes from Lionel,  MTH/Rail-King,  Williams and Bowser.  Track radii being used is 027, 031,  042,  054  and 072.  When eventually completed, the layout will be two levels.  Operation is post war-conventional and will consist of these transformers :  ZW  (2);  KW  (1);   LW  (1);   auxillary 24 vac transformer  (2) .
There is a Regulated 12 vdc power supply to operate misc lights and relays-- rated at 30 Amp.

Photo 1.   Modules under construction by carpenters..
   Photo 2.   module continuation
Photo 3.   Completed initial assembly..

Carpenters are not cheap these days.  However, I was very fortunate that their BOSS is my neighbor, two doors over !  (grin)

KRK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/15 20:38 by KeyRouteKen.

Date: 05/21/15 20:54
Re: KRK's O-gauge Layout (under construction)

Photo 4.  Sketch of modules showing dimensions..

Photo 5.  Pre-wiring ...  There is a 14-gauge color-coded stranded copper pair to each module.   There is a 12-gauge color-coded copper pair to each module.
  There is also a color-coded 25 pair control cable to each module.   14-gauge pairs for misc AC power for accessories, lighting and switch machines.
12-gauge pairs for AC propulsion power  (bus) .

Photo 6.  Basic construction of "Trolley Yard" .

KRK

Date: 05/21/15 21:03
Author: warrenpweiss

Looks like it's just gonna be pure fun, Ken.  Enjoy your retirement and take care of yourself.

Warren

Date: 05/21/15 21:12

photo 7. Mainline crossing of Trolley Yard lead tracks using one 22.5 degree x-over and two 45 degree x-over units..

photo 8.  Panorama view.

Photo 9.  Far curves-temporary installation.  Outer curve is 072.  Inner curve is 054.   Using Midwest cork roadbed for ballast effect.

More to come.    Cheers.

KRK

Date: 05/21/15 21:21

By the way, there is an 027 radii reverse loop at end of Trolley Yard (out-of-view) for reversing Trolley cars.  Suzie has about fifteen in her collection.  I got carried away buying rolling stock so we'll have to rotate what we want to run on the layout.   I have a pair of PE interurbans,  a pair of South Shore interurbans and a three-car PRR MP54 MU train.
And, too much other stuff.  (steam, diesel and RDC)   (grin)

KRK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/15 05:52 by KeyRouteKen.

Date: 05/22/15 11:23
Author: retcsxcfm

Damn,Ken.
That thing is bullet proof.Must weigh a ton.Hope you don't have to move it.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 05/22/15 15:21
Author: SWChief

The use of the tables for the legs is a very clever idea. If the top is built in sections, moving the layout should be relatively easy.  I wish I had thought of that or had been aware of such an approach when I built my layout. 

Joe's right, that sure looks to be bullet proof.  The weight of the robust construction, though, should help to make it quite stable.  If it were lighter weight construction you might have to anchor the layout to the tables and the tables to the floor. Maybe you have to anchor it to the tables anyways, the table surfaces look to be smooth and somewhat slippery.

Enjoy it Ken an please post more pictures, especially when you have the trains running!  I am looking forward to seeing more.

Enjoy the hobby,

Greg

PS - I also like the OLG and Sacred Heart pictures on the wall.  God bless, my friend.

Date: 05/22/15 15:37
Author: LarryDoyle

KeyRouteKen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Three tables have a weight limit of 2000
> pounds while the smaller table is guaranteed for
> 850 pounds.

That should handle most O gauge engines.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1115 seconds