Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Model Railroading > MTH Steam Locomotives

Date: 06/15/15 16:29
MTH Steam Locomotives
Author: speederman01

Good evening.  I was wondering if Any members have purchased or operated a Mikes Train House Allegheny steam locomotive.  I've watched a few YouTube videos and read some reviews. It seems like a high quality model and has lots of pulling power.  I was curious what popular opinion is and any advice on buying one.   

Thanks.

Dave

Date: 06/15/15 17:52
Re: MTH Steam Locomotives
Author: Finderskeepers

If the Allegheny is as good as the Cab Forward, it will be superb. I own the AC-6, and it is an amazing piece. I would probably own the MTH Allegheny if I didn't already own the Hornby/Rivarossi model. That engine I can highly recommend as a jewel if you are looking for smoothness and detail, the only thing missing is the smoke, if you can live without that, I highly recommend the Rivarossi.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/15 17:54 by Finderskeepers.

Date: 06/15/15 20:07
Author: ATSF_SDF40-2

In my opinion they are the best HO scale models of steam locomotives that have been produced to date. I own 3 a Nickel plate 2-8-4, and both a Southern Pacific gs-4 and gs-6. Overall pretty good pullers. Although I have noticed MTH tends to sometimes let some minor details slide so the models aren't always 100% prototypical but are damn near close. For instance my SP gs-6 and gs-4 have the same size driving wheels when in real life the gs-6 had smaller drives. Overall great models.

Date: 06/15/15 21:17
Author: tomstp

I had one of their USRA light mikes.  Good engine, good puller, excellent runner.

Date: 06/16/15 10:06
Author: Alexmarissa

How does the Bachmann SP GS-4 stack up against the MTH? I know it is not as nice, but it is less than half the price.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/16/15 10:20

Actually the Bachmann GS-4 (new version in the blue box) is actually a nice smooth runner, but will not pull as well as the MTH one. Plus with the MTH you get sound and synchronized smoke, hence the extra cost. If you added a tsunami heavy steam to the Bachmann with some bullfrog snot on the drivers, you'd have a nice model.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/16/15 18:29
Author: fwk676

A divergent opinion here...

I have two of the AC-6s from the first run (1 flatface, 1 with the modern cab) and am rather disappointed with them: they are my first and last MTH engines. To my eyes they look rather toylike (too glossy paint, bright, unpainted wheel tires and centers, a bit light in the detail department, cab lights always on,... All that can be fixed of course, but for the price it shouldn't be necessary), and the sound is just average. I don't know if nowadays they are available with a full-function DCC decoder; mine came with the DCS, so have very limited programming possibilities on DCC. Running qualities are OK, but pulling power wasn't too good for such heavy engines either: 23 cars (weighted to NMRA standards) on a 2% 40-inch curve were too much, and it stood slipping.

In my view -YMMV of course!-  they are overpriced. A 3rd run Intermountain AC-10 looks, runs and sounds a lot better.

WDW

Date: 06/18/15 17:15

I guess everything is subjective. I love my MTH cab forward. I think the sound is superior to any of my tsunami equipped engines and the engine runs as smooth as glass.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds