Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Model Railroading > VMV SDP45 'Cruds'

Date: 10/05/15 07:52
VMV SDP45 'Cruds'
Author: mp_eagle

Unable to attend my operating session Sunday in San Diego (San Diego MRR Club, Corrizzo Gorge) I resigned myself to watching football and re-runs of Mythbusters.  While browsing Trainorders I came across two posts on the E-L/CR SDP45's.  A couple of months back I purchased a Genesis SDP45 patched VMV.  I hadn't run it yet because it was just too clean.  Having seen the prototype in the weed-choked storage yard in Paducah, Ky., I knew I had to make the model look like it had seen a decade of hard use and neglect.  I now had something to occupy my rainy Sunday.  I normally weather with an air-brush with some dry-brushing to simulate rust patchs or streaks.  I knew that the only way I could get the mottled, faded look was to use a wet wash, something I have little experience or skill.  After a few hours of experimentaion, guesswork and plain old luck, this is the result.

Date: 10/05/15 11:44
Re: VMV SDP45 'Cruds'
Author: SP_8299

Beautiful modeling there, Chet.  I've got four of those VMVs waiting further attention myself; so far I've changed out the stock couplers for Sergents, added headlight lenses, and fixed the cut levers (all were installed upside-down on mine).  Did you use oils or acrylics for the washes?  Either way, great work, and a fine way to spend a Sunday afternoon...model railroading and football. 

Go Pats!

Date: 10/05/15 13:16
Author: mp_eagle

I used aclylics, the last of my PolyS plus ModelMaster for the rust (raw umber and burnt umber).  I wasn't sure about thinning.  I tried isopropyl alcohol at first but the residue turned everthing white. So I used distilled water with a drop of  liquid soap. No residue but had problems with bubbles on application.  Experiment, experiment, I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Chet

Date: 10/05/15 20:38
Author: bnsfsd70

Lookin' good!

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 10/05/15 20:55
Author: ssloansjca

They were pretty cruddy!

~Steve Sloan
San Jose, CA

===========

My work, presented here, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

Copyright Info:
http://www.ssloan.net/trains/copyright

Date: 10/07/15 07:21
Author: toledopatch

ssloansjca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They were pretty cruddy!
>
> ~Steve Sloan
> San Jose, CA

Well, that answers my question about where those things actually ran when they looked like that....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds