Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Model Railroading > decal question

Date: 10/05/15 06:30
decal question
Author: HB90MACH

I probably asked this before. Or read it. But. I have decals that curl. They come off the paper fine and dry OK. But as soon as they setting solution is added , they curl up. Ruining the decal. Any ideas? Maybe use viniger to set them instead? Has me baffled why they curl. And they don't always curl either.

Date: 10/05/15 08:14
Re: decal question
Author: tomstp

What brand are they and how old are they?

Date: 10/05/15 08:49

Some of them are micro scale. Some are home printed. All are new.

Date: 10/05/15 09:02

Only thing I have changed 9ver the years is the setting solution. That was new two years ago when the old bottle ran empty.

Date: 10/05/15 09:31
Author: arizonaBNSF

Which setting solution are you using? I use Micro Sol and Micro Set and I've never had this problem, some of the decals I use are older than dirt and some are brand new.

Date: 10/05/15 09:39
Author: grahamline

Do you dab a lfilm of setting solution on the car side before applying the decal?  It sounds like the decal hasn't bonded correctly to the work. Try to get the decal placed on the car, then allow it to dry before hitting it with the setting solution. If the solution is too agressive, you can thin it a little with distilled water.

Date: 10/05/15 09:47
Author: jburek

I know some decals will distort a bit when the setting solution is applied, but will almost always settle in to the detail when allowed to cure/dry.

Date: 10/05/15 09:57
Author: tomstp

That was my thought that you might not be waiting for the decal solution to totally do its stuff.  Some decals will look awful rough after a few seconds but generally will streighten out after a while.  I use Walthers solvaset on all decals and have no problem with it.

You can place decals on the model and not put your solution on them and wait for them to dry or press then down with your fingers wiping up the water that come out from under them and then put your decal solution on them.

Date: 10/05/15 10:30
Author: Stottman

I have carried some decals around the world for 20 years in Military moves. Herald King, ISP, Microscale.... 

If in doubt, I put Liquid decal film on the decal.... No issues. 

Date: 10/05/15 20:45
Author: tinytrains

I am a big fan of Solvoset. BUT. Put the decal on with water and let it sit for a day. Then apply the Solvoset. I wil shrink right down.
If you apply the Solvoset while the decal is wet and  loose, it may move, and becasue Solvoset softens the decal so much, it will tear if you try an move it back.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 10/06/15 10:31

The solutions I have are. Micro sol and set and Walther's ssolutíon. I have let the decals dry for days and as soon as the solution starts to work. They curl. This only started in the past two years. I am at a loss as to why it does this. Never had that problem before. Used to applybthe solution the the model then decal, but I do not do that anymore. I let it dry. I have been apply decals for about two decades with no problem until this started reçently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/15 10:33 by HB90MACH.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds