Home Open Account Help 398 users online

Model Railroading > Oldest and longest running garden railway in the United States

Date: 10/08/15 22:21
Oldest and longest running garden railway in the United States
Author: edsaalig

The railroad began in 1924 by the founder Mr. Hemnan Howard and his brother who were members of the Pomona Model Yacht Club. A single Pacific Electric Railway 1200 interurban model ran around the Army Corps of Engineers' Puddingstone Reservoir Exhibit during that year's Los Angeles County Fair in Pomona. The train diorama was to promote the dam, which had just been built. The exhibit later was moved to a tent, and in 1935 to its outdoor location. The railroad was sold in 1958 to Mr. & Mrs. Herman Templin. After the death of Mr. Templin, just before the fair opened in 1968, Mrs. Templin, with the help of her daughter Suzanne and Mr. John Huie, kept the railroad running until 1970.  The photos are taken of Howard's Santa Fe Railroad.  The one-half inch scale models were at the Los Angeles County Fair (Fairplex) in 1949.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/15 14:17 by edsaalig.

Date: 10/08/15 22:23
Re: Oldest and longest running garden railway in the United State

The man that started it all Mr. hennam Howard.  He hand made all the rolling stock.  Photo also taken in 1949.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/15 22:24 by edsaalig.

Date: 10/09/15 05:38
Author: BAB

Is there any info on what happened to it since 1970?  I know that at the LALS site there is a garden railroad that has been in the same place I thnk for qutie a number of years. Is this what it origianly was? As not being from that area and not having any contacts there could someone chime in here? Thanks Boyd

Date: 10/09/15 08:36
Author: warrenpweiss

Here is a photo of the original Pacific Electric 1200 interuban model that ran in the 1924 fair.

Warren

Date: 10/09/15 10:02

Each year over one million people from all over the United States and the world have attended the Los Angeles County Fair and other annual events held at the fairgrounds. Approximately 750,000 of these each year visit and enjoy this spectacular exhibit.  In April 1997, volunteer model railroad enthusiasts began to upgrade the exhibit with the use of G-gauge materials and rolling stock. Maintaining the original right a ways and roadbed, the original steel rail was removed and over 5,000 feet of new brass rail was installed. The electrical system was also upgraded and re-wired to accommodate the new track and switches. A volunteer crew has devoted more than 16,000 hours on-site to the renovation project between April 19, 1997 and the start of the 1998 Los Angeles County Fair. It is estimated that another 4,000 hours were spent outside the exhibit during this same time with the renovation of the existing and construction of new exhibit model buildings. Work is now underway to complete plans to have the exhibit depict California life from the 1850's through the year 2,000.  Today, the exhibit is most likely the oldest and largest garden railroad in America with over 10,000 feet of track covering a 100-foot by 300-foot area with trains running every year since 1935, except during WWII war years (1942-47). Multiple scenes with four main lines, five trolley lines, two operating truck routes through mountains, farmlands, lakes, rivers, towns and deserts bring the railroad to life. Four interactive areas allow children of all ages to operate trains on ten additional loops and a mountain mining scene.

Date: 10/09/15 10:02

Where is the street car today?

Date: 10/09/15 10:39
Author: PHall

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there any info on what happened to it since
> 1970?  I know that at the LALS site there is a
> garden railroad that has been in the same place I
> thnk for qutie a number of years. Is this what it
> origianly was? As not being from that area and not
> having any contacts there could someone chime in
> here? Thanks Boyd

The railway was at the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds in Pomona. It still exists but was converted to I believe G scale in the 90's after most of the 1/2" scale equipment just plain wore out.

Date: 10/09/15 10:52
Author: Streamliner

Growing up in Los Angeles, I have fond memories of attending the L.A. County Fair every year from the mid 50's through the mid 60's.  I would absolutely DROOL over this layout, just dying to get inside the fence.  I tried my best to WILL the steam locos to run, but it never happened.  Does anyone know if the steam locomotives were powered or just static models?  

Date: 10/09/15 11:35
Author: warrenpweiss

The steamers were powered but originally set up for outside third rail. They sat on display for many years due to the conversion of the layout to two rail power in 1949. It wasn't until Mark Bridgwater and other skilled and knowledgeable craftsmen took on the very involved task of converting them to two rail in the 1980s that they were finally operational again.

Warren

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/15 16:01 by warrenpweiss.

Date: 10/09/15 11:55

The steam locomotivies were powered.  If you go to the fairplex railroad go inside the workshop.  They have one running point to point for about 20 feet on its own power.

Date: 10/10/15 06:18
Author: BAB

Glad that I posted as the reply's tell a very good story and make me want to visit even more. OK so this was the RR I read about a few years back it told a story but couldn't remember what. Probably have met someone from there visiting Train Mountain. Thanks again all for the info. Boyd in Chiloquin

Date: 10/11/15 00:03
Author: mwbridgwater

Thank you, Ed, for posting more photos.  Corrections to the names:  Original builder was Mr. Herman Howard.  Second owners were Howard and Lois Templin.

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/15 00:04 by mwbridgwater.

Date: 10/11/15 00:20
Author: mwbridgwater

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The railway was at the Los Angeles County
> Fairgrounds in Pomona. It still exists but was
> converted to I believe G scale in the 90's after
> most of the 1/2" scale equipment just plain wore
> out.

Absolutely not true.  I was deeply involved in the operation, development, restoration and maintenance of this (the original) display from 1979 through 1994 - a couple of years before the end.  With the exception of a small number of pieces, all of the equipment had never been in better condition, especially from an operational standpoint.  A lot of money and labor went into making everything mechanically and electrically superior to what Mr. Howard had even built it as when new.  We were on our way to replacing all the original-style steel rail with stainless steel rail to eliminate rust issues.  Advanced electronic controls had been present for years before my time and continued to the end.  Highly reliable drive mechanisms in the locomotives to last literally hundreds of actual miles, the list goes on and on.  All of it thanks to my friend, John Huie.  It was a constant battle for years to keep the historic display there; John finally was fed up, gave up, and the Fair Association forced him and the original equipment out of there.

Mark

Date: 10/11/15 12:08
Author: mundo

Each summer that I stayed with my Grand Parents in Pomona,  Grandpa would always include a visit to the railway and meet with Mr Howard.
He would be busy, cleaning up getting ready for the September opening of the Fair. He always had time to say Hello and operate a train for us.

For a number of years,  the Santa Fe was a sponsor, and steam power was all patterned after the AT&SF.   Passenger power were the early  E units.

Later the SP sponsored and the necessary changes were made.

Ed

Date: 10/12/15 07:09
Author: mcdeo

Thank you for the memories. I always loved watching the trucks run on their rails. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 09/11/16 18:55
Author: JimBaker

Rergarding the G-scale layout at LA Live Steamers in LA's Griffith Park --.
It was installed about 10 years ago as someting to view while waiting for rides on the Sunday Live Steam trains.
LALS has just installed a 250 foot double track loop with yards an sidings for No. 1 Gauge STEAM.  There is no provision for electrical pickup.
Next Sunday, September,18th, the club is sponsoring a Run Day on the No.1 Gauge
I believe it will be an open day, If you have any equipment bring it out !!

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1011 seconds