Home Open Account Help 196 users online

Model Railroading > FXE boxcar weathered.

Date: 04/24/16 15:04
FXE boxcar weathered.
Author: Jimmies

OK, so I truly hope this doesn't just degenerate into trading political views over the pros and cons, merits and faults, etc., of graffiti on a model freight car as so often happens on here. It's just a model after all.

I wish I had taken a "before" picture of this Atlas Trainman boxcar, but I didn't 'cuz I forgot again. That said, I carved off the side ladders and stirrup steps, replacing them with wire, clipped off the hook thing from the uncoupler, then added air hoses and wire uncoupler bars. I sprayed gray primer overtop of the silver roof, and then rusted it with my usual water-mixable oil paints and some Pan-Pastels. Sort of following prototype photos, I re-painted the areas that I wanted to be patched, then added the aforementioned graffiti from a collection of decals given by a friend, and re-numbered the car to match one of the prototype photos I used for reference. The car also received a wash of thinned black to darken down the whole thing and really kill the shine. Dullcote too.

The trucks were also re-painted from the black plastic andthe wheels have been painted and powdered to look a bit more like the real thing. I am waiting for a final decal to add to the car, the italicized one that will say "Ferromex" in white, vertically on one of the panels on each side.

Jim

Date: 04/24/16 15:05
Re: FXE boxcar weathered.

One more photo.

Date: 04/24/16 15:17
Author: Brian_P

Put some Kadee Cuplers on it.

Date: 04/24/16 15:41
Author: bnsfsd70

That car looks great! Very nice work on it.

- Jeff Carlson

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/24/16 16:00
Author: ghemr

I really like the way you handled the patchwork and grafitti. Will both sides be grafittied when the model is complete?

Date: 04/24/16 16:04
Author: calsubd

Great job !

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 04/24/16 17:02
Author: philhoov

Nice job!
I'm just getting into weathering some rolling stock.
It's a learning process.
I've completed two cars successfully and ruined another one in the process.
The ruined one has become my testbed for experimenting with new techniques and I've learned how to do a good job of rusting a boxcar roof with that one.
I'm using some of the new low-priced ScaleTrains boxcars for my learning.
I wish I had a nearby train show where I could pick up a box full of cheap cars to experiment with.
I enjoy the creativity.
Phil

Date: 04/24/16 18:27

Thanks to all for taking a look at this one.

CSX_ENG - I don't know if 'll put graffiti on the other side or not. I'm running out of graffiti decals that I like the look of.

Phil - Don't worry too much about ruining a freight car. Stick with it. Some alcohol on a Q-Tip will take off most errors. I wrecked one of my early efforts too. It's an ExactRail boxcar, and I tried 3 times to weather it and I remember it very nearly ended up smashed against the wall in my frustration. I put it away for a while, and then re-did it again and it became one of my very favourites. Others seem to like it too when they see it, and I've had multiple offers for it.  Here's a couple pictures. Come to think of it, these two might look real nice together on the layout.

Jim

Date: 04/24/16 18:34
Author: ghemr

Ha--------I wish I could make so-called mistakes like your 184093!!!

Date: 04/24/16 19:29

Jim ~
Thanks for the encouragement.
I will try your alcohol technique a try.
My biggest mistake was apply a wash that I didn't dilute enough.
Not sure I can correct that.
Phil

Date: 04/24/16 21:15

Jim ~
Many thanks for your encouragement and suggestions.
Your alcohol idea took the too-yellowish wash off my UP boxcar.
Then, I applied a burnt umber oil wash (diluted with turpentine) and got the random rusty look I wanted on that side.
Next is to see if I can remove a bit of the overdone heavy (oil paint) rust on the other side.
I also finished rusting the roof with some Pan Pastels on top of the previous burnt umber oil that I stippled on.
I have saved the car and now will learn more by trying other techniques.
Photos to follow when time permits and more progress has been made.
Phil

Date: 04/25/16 00:38
Author: Stottman

I have just started, and found that oils are much more forgiving for "mistakes".

Date: 04/25/16 01:16
Author: Hookdragkick

Spot on! You did a pretty good job, and I like the graffiti. It's nice to see some Mexican boxes being shared on here. I remember handling those old patched NDEMs in blocks with EEC and HS boxcars full of beer from across the boarder via El Paso. They would get so hot inside in the summer time, porbres cervezas! There was always a swept pile of glass on the floor of the distro facility we spotted them to. 

Date: 04/25/16 14:53

Yo Phil ! - Glad to be of help. That alcohol will take off pretty much anything. Next tip is, once you are happy with a layer of weathering, spray some dullcote over top of it as protection from the next layer of weathering, you know, just in case you make an error and need to remove that second layer. Alcohol will cut through dullcote too though, so you have to be careful with it. Post your car on here when you get time, everyone on here would love to see it.

Hookdragkick - Thanks for the kind words, and for the short story too.

Jim

Date: 04/25/16 19:56
Author: SantaFeRuss

Nice work. I have a number of Mexican freight cars. Always good to see them on this site.

SantaFeRuss

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0646 seconds