Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Model Railroading > Installing SoundTraxx Soundcar decoders?

Date: 10/20/16 11:36
Installing SoundTraxx Soundcar decoders?
Author: Frank30

I'm about to install some SoundCar decoders. Just wondering if they generate any heat in usage??
Should I install a piece of  chipboard between it and the roof of the passenger car.  I ask this question
only because I remember using a decoder on the roof of a passenger car many years back for lighting
purposes only and wound up with a depression on the outside of the roof. Fortunately caught it before
it melted right through.
Frank30

Date: 10/20/16 11:53
Re: Installing SoundTraxx Soundcar decoders?
Author: brfriedm

I've done 3 already and they are cool to the touch so no issues.  I just double sticky tape them to the roof.  Bruce

PS - I also installed currentkeepers also. No issues there also.

Date: 10/20/16 13:44
Author: BAB

Unlike when they are driving motors they are not pulling much power so should run cool.

Date: 10/20/16 20:44
Author: KsPoker

I installed one in a boxcar about 3 months ago with no issues with heat, and am ready to install a second one. I have found that two Soundcar Decoders keep you from guessing which car has the decoder installed, which is easy with only one decoder installed in one boxcar. My brother brought one up from Houston in August, and I was amazed at the difference two decoders (consisted together) make in the way of sound, and hiding which boxcar's the decoder's are installed in versus only one installed in a consist. Almost has a stereo affect. And as stated above, with a currentkeeper, no problem with dead spots on your track. In fact, when power is shut down, they will still run for at least 30 seconds. I would suggest, if you decide to install decoders in two different boxcars, that you put one fairly close to the front and one near the caboose. You will see a huge difference in sound.

If you are interested, there is a good article for installing the Soundcar Decoder in the Jan 2015 issue of MR on page 80.

Mike
Wichita, Ks.

Date: 10/21/16 05:31
Author: Frank30

Thanks BAB, and by the way your turbine decoder is on the way today.
Frank30 (Boston)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds