Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Model Railroading > Soundtrack as you do model railroading

Date: 02/15/17 23:37
Soundtrack as you do model railroading
Author: SantaFeRuss

We have done this in the pass. It's been a longtime though. What do you guys and gals listen to while building a locomotive or freight car kit, or putting together a buliding or working on the layout? While working on a Burlington Northern Santa Fe coal hopper you can't go wrong listening to, what else but John Coltrane! Peter Gabriels "Sledgehammer" sounds good too. "If you just lay down your tracks" is a line from that song. Then the Con Funk Shun song "Loves Train" comes on. Nice! How about you folks?

SantaFeRuss

Posted from Android

Date: 02/16/17 02:28
Re: Soundtrack as you do model railroading
Author: globalethanol

west slope scanner feed

twl

Date: 02/16/17 05:13
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I model the 1950's so I put Donald Fagan's "New Frontier" on a constant loop.

Date: 02/16/17 06:01
Author: binder001

bad habit is to have my small TV on, mostly for "noise".  I get more done when I put on music.  In the hobby room I tune the TV to the Sirius XM "60's on 6" oldies channel.  I find that I get more done with the music.  When I'm at my layout I take the iPod and put it on "shuffle songs" and end up with anything from 60's tunes to movie themes to light classical.  Still makes the work go better :-)

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 02/16/17 06:23
Author: CNW

I liststen to the local railroad radio on my scanner, mixed with classic rock music.  I built a circuit that monitors the voltage in the radio scanner squelch circuit.  When the squelch opens, a multi-pole relay switches the speakers from the stereo system to the scanner.

Dennis

Date: 02/16/17 06:56
Author: KM-ML4000

Log into Pandora, and dial up the band Eisbrecher, and let the interweb choose after that.

Date: 02/16/17 08:20
Author: WP282

I play the music on my phone through a Bluetooth speaker. Some of the tracks are recordings of trains done by our very own AlcoRSD15. It's great to listen to early '80's lashups on Cajon while laying track.

Mike

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/16/17 10:27
Author: retcsxcfm

A mix from AccuRadio.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 02/16/17 11:19
Author: march_hare

My Ipod, a fun tool from before the days of music on your phone, has found a permanent home in the workshop.  Generally set to play all of my Pink Floyd, Springsteen, or Dire Straits tunes, but sometimes I veer off into old R&B or even clasical stuff.

Date: 02/16/17 12:19
Author: atsfwarbonnet

If you are a ATSF/BNSF fan, there is nothing like the CD "Desert Vision" by David Lanz and Paul Speer to create the feeling of the Transcon in NM, AZ and CA!

Date: 02/16/17 12:32
Author: goneon66

atsfwarbonnet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are a ATSF/BNSF fan, there is nothing like
> the CD "Desert Vision" by David Lanz and Paul
> Speer to create the feeling of the Transcon in
> NM, AZ and CA!

just listened to a few tracks.  very nice and a good change from my music i usually listen to (60's-90's)...........

Date: 02/16/17 13:18
Author: Matt_Gidley

A second vote here for Dire Straits.  I go through stages with different albums, but always come back to Mark Knopfler...

Date: 02/16/17 13:45
Author: up421

I either put on some easy listening music from my cable provider or put on a DVD with the narration switched off and listen to the sound of trains either steam or diesel. In the both cases, I have the TV turned off so I don't become distracted from the modeling project at hand.

An enjoyable addition to my hobby time.

Bob

Date: 02/16/17 14:36
Author: nkp746

Jimmy Buffett. 

Although I'm surprised no one has said Rod Stewart.

Rob Bennett
Fairview, PA
http://youtube.com/user/SirDopeyTheBear/featured

Date: 02/16/17 14:39
Author: SPHTS_001

Wow, that depends on a mood thing. Most of my time in the "train room" is accompanied by Alexander Scourby reading the Bible in the background; this helps reduce swearing I find. However, when I'm working on theme's such as the "wrong side of the tracks" small town area, I play Delta Blues or even hard rock from the late 70's. Basically whatever it takes to get me in the proper mood. You can hear bootlegged Hendrix, Albert King, Sabbath, Muddy Waters, Cream or maybe even Zeppelin or Johnny Winter at times. It depends on the mood I wish to aim for.

John Huey
Simi Valley, CA
http://mancosbob.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx

Date: 02/16/17 17:15
Author: rosenth

As my second hobby (besides model rr) is playing in a hard rock and blues band (a vintage hammond organ, see http://www.groove-t-gang.ch), I mostly listen to blues or rock. Joe Bonamassea, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep etc. is nice while working on the layout, but also some more modern progressive rock bands (e.g. dream theatre, flying colors etc.)

Date: 02/18/17 11:53
Author: grahamline

Either the local scanner channels (UP main and yards, BNSF the same) or music from the PC. Helen Shapiro and Nora Jones recently cycled through. Nora Jones is good for precision decaling.

Date: 02/19/17 08:30
Author: Hoggers-Son

I have the state police on the scanner.  I do my modeling late at night and you'd be supprised  at what you hear  happening  on the higjways at 2AM.  

Date: 02/19/17 09:58
Author: portlander

rosenth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As my second hobby (besides model rr) is playing
> in a hard rock and blues band (a vintage hammond
> organ, see http://www.groove-t-gang.ch), I mostly
> listen to blues or rock. Joe Bonamassea, Deep
> Purple, Uriah Heep etc. is nice while working on
> the layout, but also some more modern progressive
> rock bands (e.g. dream theatre, flying colors
> etc.)

Absolutely love Dream Theater! Though calling a 30+ year old progressive rock band "modern" may be a stretch ;)

Date: 02/19/17 10:27
Author: exhaustED

Gustav Mahler, Prokofiev....failing those two... Megadeth...i have a lot of derailments....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/17 16:16 by exhaustED.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0723 seconds