Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Passenger Trains > Rail Action Day on Friday-Terrorist Alert

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/04/10 22:22
Rail Action Day on Friday-Terrorist Alert
Author: RRmemories

WASHINGTON - The United States is preparing to step up police presence on trains and transit systems amid US travel alerts for a possible terrorist attack in European countries.

In response Amtrak will hold a 'Rail Action Day' on Friday where uniformed police will have highly visible appearance on trains.

Traveling Americans are alerted about possible terrorist attacks in Europe as both American and European law enforcement were scanning for suspicious subjects. European railways, subways and tourist locations are considered under threat.

European officials said plots were detected by Al-Qaeda militants planning to stage attacks in Britain, France and Germany, with a possible Mumbai-like slaughter. Amtrak intends to show increased
security as well.

Let's be careful out there!

Date: 10/05/10 04:47
Re: Rail Action Day on Friday-Terrorist Alert
Author: Lackawanna484

The NY TV stations have been playing up this story. Patrol dogs video from the subway, checkpoints in NY, TSA screeners, etc

The travel warnings to Europe allow them to cut in pictures of the Eiffel tower, which has been evacuated twice in recent days, etc

Date: 10/05/10 05:40
Author: chico

Date: 10/05/10 06:39

There seems to be a fine line between an "exercise" and an actual
warning without using that terminology. Amtrak seems to be saying two different things. One, that this "surge" was planned before
the recent alerts went up in Europe; Two, we're making an attempt
to not scare riders away yet cover themselves just in case this turns out to be a simultaneous assault. As I type this Good Morning America is reporting eleven suspected railway terrorists were just captured in France. Friday should be interesting with armed soldiers in some of our train stations. How will they interact with railroad photographers?

Date: 10/05/10 07:22
Author: philippe

Perhaps it would be wise to avoid any confrontation w/authorities just to stay away from passenger rail for a few days.

Date: 10/05/10 07:34
Author: billwood

I boarded a New York bound Acela at Boston's South Station yesterday morning (October 4). Before I got on the train, I saw at least one fellow in camouflage costume carrying a large automatic weapon pacing back and forth through the station. I can't speak for my fellow travelers (most of whom were arriving on commuter trains and heading on to their offices), but the presence of this fellow made me feel less safe, not more.

Date: 10/05/10 07:39
Author: WAF

billwood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I boarded a New York bound Acela at Boston's South
> Station yesterday morning (April 4). Before I got
> on the train, I saw at least one fellow in
> camouflage costume carrying a large automatic
> weapon pacing back and forth through the station.
> I can't speak for my fellow travelers (most of
> whom were arriving on commuter trains and heading
> on to their offices), but the presence of this
> fellow made me feel less safe, not more.

Question is, did he remember to put bullets in it?

Date: 10/05/10 08:08
Author: Lackawanna484

billwood Wrote:
> I boarded a New York bound Acela at Boston's South
> Station yesterday morning (April 4). Before I got
> on the train, I saw at least one fellow in
> camouflage costume carrying a large automatic
> weapon pacing back and forth through the station.
> I can't speak for my fellow travelers (most of
> whom were arriving on commuter trains and heading
> on to their offices), but the presence of this
> fellow made me feel less safe, not more.

"Show of force" with dogs, machine guns, etc is a key part of making people feel safer.

The NY Port Authority Bus Terminal had a company of National Guard people in fatigues with rifles on duty last Thursday evening. I saw perhaps 20 - 25 soldiers, walking through the place in groups of 2 and 3.

I'm not sure what they were up to. I'm sure the PA police in their combat gear, with similar weapons, would get the same reaction

Date: 10/05/10 08:14
Author: joemvcnj

For railfans with cameras, find something else to do that day.

Date: 10/05/10 10:38

ABC news at noon showed video of a NYC Amtrak station (not sure which one it was) but there were camo wearing gun toting guards
and what appeared to me to be quite a few uniformed police. Seems
like NYC is getting the most attention. Earlier, Good Morning America said this wasn't to be until Friday but something seems to be stirring already. For sure not a good time to take railfan photos. I wonder what long distance travelers think when they detrain and see soldiers with weapons. It will be interesting to see if this continues through the week and what Friday might hold. (U.S. forces in Pakistan captured 5 German dissidents suspected to
be railway terrorists along with the 11 caught by French National Police)

Date: 10/05/10 10:55
Author: Jishnu

NYC has exactly one Amtrak station, that being Penn Station.

Date: 10/05/10 12:16
Author: DNRY122

Although not as true now as it was when I first traveled by long-distance train (almost 60 years ago), train travelers still have a certain amount of isolation from today's "all news, all the time" environment. I'm sure some non-railfans from out-of-town might echo the late Marvin Gaye and ask "What's Going On?" when they see this show of force upon arrival at a major train station.

Date: 10/05/10 13:34
Author: Des-Lab

Remind me again? Who are the terrorists? And who are the ones protecting us from them? I'm having a harder and harder time discerning the latter from the former.

Date: 10/05/10 13:37
Author: scottp

Camouflage is what you wear when you.... want to be sure everyone notices you?

Date: 10/05/10 13:47
Author: ChS7-321

scottp Wrote:
> Camouflage is what you wear when you.... want to
> be sure everyone notices you?

LOL. But yeah.....forest camouflage fatigues will make you very noticeable in a city environment.

Date: 10/05/10 13:49
Author: anthracite

Lackawanna484 Wrote:

> "Show of force" with dogs, machine guns, etc is a
> key part of making people feel safer.

I'm THOROUGHLY tired of this "show" - now in its ninth season - and only wish that I could change the damned channel.

There's a world of difference between being safe and feeling safe. The sham security environment is, itself, a source of insecurity to me. The resources being poured down the bottomless well of aptly-dubbed Security Theater could be better used to shore up the foundations of security rather than its facade. What's next? Security Improv Comedy? Never mind...I think we're already there. ;)

Date: 10/05/10 15:10
Author: northislands

joemvcnj Wrote:
> For railfans with cameras, find something else to
> do that day.

Terrorist wins .Paranoia and rule by fear as usual .

Date: 10/05/10 18:27
Author: fjc

Unless you wear urban camo ;-)

ChS7-321 Wrote:
> scottp Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Camouflage is what you wear when you.... want
> to
> > be sure everyone notices you?
>
>
> LOL. But yeah.....forest camouflage fatigues will
> make you very noticeable in a city environment.

Date: 10/05/10 19:15
Author: Mgoldman

joemvcnj Wrote:
> For railfans with cameras, find something else to
> do that day.

Now more then ever, you think railFANS with CAMERAS
would be an asset - as long as you don't mind the
hassle of asking "Everything OK, there?"

Has anyone here ever taken a photo of a train or
railroad station that hasn't already been taken and
posted on the Internet??

/Mitch

Date: 10/05/10 19:36
Author: charlesbork

My family was with me in Italy (2002-2003) in Rome, Florence, Venice and many other towns.
We were the typical American tourist's, very naive about the world, having a good time.
The Italian police and army were out and visible in the airports, train station / platforms / streets etc.
All were armed with automatic weapons. On the plane trip from Venice to Rome there was a soldier on the plane with his fire arm. On entering St Peter's square we were questioned and put thru a security scanner. Later that afternoon we wanted to go to the Hard Rock Cafe in Rome, asked for directions and the man at the hotel desk, said NO, No, No do not go there. He then asked us if we saw the news. The Italians were in high security mode. The next day they announced a terrorist plot to bomb the Ufizi in Florence and assassinate Pope John Paul. We have a lot to learn
from the Europeans about security.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0716 seconds