Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Passenger Trains > Honolula rail transit

Date: 11/07/12 14:27
Honolula rail transit
Author: DNRY122

There was supposed to be a contest (for mayor?) on the Honolulu ballot that had a bearing on the possibility of a light rail project. Do we have any correspondents in the Islands who can shed some light on this question?

Date: 11/07/12 14:31
Re: Honolula rail transit
Author: J.Ferris

From that Star Advertiser:

Kirk Caldwell completed his surge Tuesday by topping former Gov. Ben Cayetano in the race for Hono­lulu mayor and earning the right to continue overseeing the progress of the city's $5.26 billion rail transit project.

With all 156 precincts reporting, the former city managing director who has pledged to "do rail better" came away with 53.9 percent. Cayetano, who came out of retirement to give the anti-rail movement a legitimate contender, earned 46.1 percent of the vote.

(c) Honolulu Star Advertiser

Date: 11/07/12 14:39

Thanks for the quick update! Looks like I may have a good reason to take a trip to Aloha Land in the future.

Date: 11/07/12 14:45
Author: Milw_E70

They've already started construction of the first segment in East Kapolei however progress has been stopped due to the Hawaii Supreme Court ruling that the archaeological survey should have been completed on the entire 20 mile segment instead of just the first phase of construction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/12 15:07 by Milw_E70.

Date: 11/07/12 15:06
Author: rbenko

DNRY122 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the quick update! Looks like I may
> have a good reason to take a trip to Aloha Land in
> the future.

You didn't have a good reason to go to "Aloha Land" before? The Hawaiian Islands have some of the most spectacular scenery on the face of the earth. Plus, there are already tourist railroads on Oahu and Maui (with steam on Maui), plus a railroad museum on the Big Island.

Date: 11/07/12 15:17

I even have a cousin on The Big Island, and I know there are many wonderful things over there, but the chance to see a new light rail operation would "push me over the edge" into making the flight.

Date: 11/07/12 19:00
Author: tq-07fan

DNRY122, You are not alone in getting that final push to go to Hawaii now with a light rail system developing. I actually though the same thing the other day. Of course Honolula is served by a great bus system, called The Bus. I have heard only good things about 'The Bus' from both regular people and bus nuts like myself that have visited the islands. So I guess several years from now I will finally go over to Hawaii and ride The Bus and whatever name they come up for the light rail. Hawaii is one of only four states I have not been to.

Jim

Date: 11/08/12 12:05
Author: RD10747

Stop by the Hula Hut..they say it's pretty 'hip'...

Date: 11/08/12 17:25
Author: PHall

Anybody remember from about 15 years ago when they were going to build a monorail system from Pearl City to Diamond Head?
That was supposed to be a sure thing too...

Date: 11/08/12 22:26
Author: truxtrax

Milw_E70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They've already started construction of the first
> segment in East Kapolei however progress has been
> stopped due to the Hawaii Supreme Court ruling
> that the archaeological survey should have been
> completed on the entire 20 mile segment instead of
> just the first phase of construction.

I just came back from Ko'Olina on Oahu and the pillars for the rail project are viewable from H-1 as you drive east towards Honolulu. And Kapolei has grown to be the second largest city in Hawaii and it's still getting bigger!

Larry Dodgion
Wilsonville, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds