Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Passenger Trains > NJ: Another storm snarls repair work

Date: 11/07/12 13:05
NJ: Another storm snarls repair work
Author: Lackawanna484

Associated Press provides some additional details about the work that needs to be done in the Meadows, along the Morristown Line / Midtown Direct tracks. A new nor'easter is now blanketing the area with snow, high winds, and some storm surge activity

Winds in the area today have been around the levels that require suspension of work in bucket trucks, etc. The snow has turned to sleet in some places, as well. (Fires this past summer, flood waters and winds now, what's next? Locusts?)

>>The worst-hit line is the North Jersey Coast Line in the area of the Raritan River and bay, where two bridges suffered extensive damage. The second-worst area is in Kearny in northern New Jersey, where tracks were washed out and trees and towers that hold overhead wires were toppled onto the Montclair-Boonton and Morris & Essex lines.

Durso didn't give estimates on when the suspended lines would return to service. Service into New York has been hampered because one of Amtrak's two tunnels into the city is still inoperable. <<

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Storm_could_delay_rail_work_on_damaged_NJ_lines.html

Date: 11/07/12 13:31
Re: NJ: Another storm snarls repair work
Author: rbenko

Have there been any pictures published of the damage in Kearny and/or the stretch between Millburn and Summit on the M&E? I keep reading about the damage, but haven't seen one photo.

Date: 11/07/12 13:48
Author: jp1822

Amtrak needs to get that second Hudson River rail tunnel pumped out. That's a big snarl at present...and then....

They need to get some sort of restoration going on the M&E lines even if from some point out west to Newark Broad Street Station and then have passengers potentially transfer there to Newark light rail or right onto buses in some sort of staging point area.

The North Jersey Coast Line won't be restored till next year. That line is gone for a while!

Date: 11/07/12 14:00

rbenko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have there been any pictures published of the
> damage in Kearny and/or the stretch between
> Millburn and Summit on the M&E? I keep reading
> about the damage, but haven't seen one photo.

It's a tough area to access without considerable trespassing, and crossing multiple tracks.

Off the top of my head, the best way to get in would be off Harrison Ave, through the service road under the Turnpike. You'd be nailed in under five minutes.

The whole area has been fenced and is probably under surveillance and motion detectors. Just a guess, though...

Date: 11/07/12 14:48
Author: rbenko

Not looking for any fellow foamers to take clandestine photos of Kearny junction and the surrounding area - I figured NJT would have posted some reconstruction pictures somewhere by now. From all descriptions it seems like a mess, and it would be something you'd think NJT would be trumpeting.

However, pics on the M&E between Millburn and Summit should be easy to get - I'm very curious about this area, having lived in Short Hills for 13 years. I guess there was some serious tree damage?

Date: 11/07/12 18:28
Author: Jishnu

rbenko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> However, pics on the M&E between Millburn and
> Summit should be easy to get - I'm very curious
> about this area, having lived in Short Hills for
> 13 years. I guess there was some serious tree
> damage?

There is no visible damage between Millburn and north of Rt 24 bridge. So I am assuming that the damage lies between Rt 24 bridge and Summit.
I live adjacent to the track near Rt 24.

I know that the JCP&L substation in the area between Rt 24 bridge and Summit was pretty much destroyed and had to be rebuilt piece by piece, causing many households to be still without power in that area.

Date: 11/08/12 06:39

NJ Transit has announced that the Newark light rail is back in service on its main branch, from Grove Street in Bloomfield to Newark Penn Station. 15 minute headway. Other reports say that the power is irregular, and operations are subject to delays.

Service on the line between Newark Penn Station and Newark Broad Street station of the Morristown Line remains suspended.

Date: 11/08/12 06:44
Author: cjvrr

I have been without power since last Monday. I live in Riverdale, NJ. Plenty of other residents in the area are being told it will be a few more weeks! One of my co-workers that lives in Jefferson, NJ was told mid December! So it is a mess here. Getting better by the day, but still a mess.

CV the civil E living in stone age NJ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0765 seconds