Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Passenger Trains > Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad Back at Full Length

Date: 05/12/14 04:27
Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad Back at Full Length
Author: SDP40F600

This past weekend the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad resumed operating the full length of its line between Akron and Independence, Ohio. Independence is a suburb of Cleveland. Although the CVSR operates year 'round, it has maintained an abbreviated service for most of the winter due to construction on the north end. Between mid-January and mid-March, CVSR trains ran only between Akron and Brecksville. After that they operated only to Peninsula.

But starting last Friday,the Scenic, as the trains are named, resumed making all stops and the popular Bike Aboard! program also resumed. You can ride a CVSR train on way in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and then bike in the other direction or vice versa. Unlike many tourist trains, CVSR passengers can get on and off at intermediate stops just as passengers would on an intercity or commuter train route.

For now, CVSR service is two roundtrips on Saturday and Sunday with one afternoon roundtrip on Friday. Starting June 4, the CVSR will begin its summer schedule of three roundtrips Wednesday through Sunday.

I got out on Saturday afternoon to chase the CVSR. I was hoping that there would be some flowering trees along the line to get some "spring is finally here" shots, but I had no such luck. I was able to get the train next to the Cuyahoga River at Brecksville with the old Station Road bridge in the background. The bridge is now part of a trail.

The good news was the that black LTEX geep that everyone loves to hate was not running this day. Further good news was that C424 No. 4241 was on the point. The bad news was that it was running long hood forward (Photo 2).

The good news was that FPA-1 No. 6771 was the northward-facing locomotive. (Photo 3). It is shown trailing as the train approaches the station stop at Botzum.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/14 15:44 by SDP40F600.

Date: 05/12/14 04:31
Re: Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad Back at Full Length

(Photo 4) Another view of FPA-4 No. 6771 trailing as the train leaves the Indigo Lake station.

(Photo 5) The heritage of the various passenger cars can be seen in their profiles in this side angle image made at Bath Road. The dome car just over the switch for the set out track is dome car Emerson, which formerly was owned by the Denver & Rio Grande Western and used in California Zephyr service.

(Photo 6) Holy smokes! Someone call the Environmental Protection Agency. The Alco is doing what Alcos do.

Date: 05/12/14 04:34

The next sequence of four images shows the crew members at work. Most of them are volunteers.

(Photo 7) A crew members eyes the platform at Indigo Lake on the fireman's side of the cab of No. 4241.

(Photo 8) Two more cars. One more car. That'll do when you get 'em stopped. The crew member is in the baggage car used to story bicycles. The train is about to stop at Indigo Lake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/14 04:34 by SDP40F600.

Date: 05/12/14 04:37

(Photo 9) Putting down the step box at Brecksville. This particular car is a former RDC car that was used to carry the bikers between stations. Also in the consist this day was a dining car used to serve a catered brunch to those hold reservations for the "Brunch Along the Cuyahoga" and observation-lounge Saint Lucie Sound.

(Photo 10): Loading bikes at Brecksville.

Date: 05/12/14 11:23
Author: coach

The trackage appears to be heavy and in good shape. Does this line see freight service, too?

Date: 05/12/14 12:40
Author: stone23

When does the Akron-Canton extended service begin?

Date: 05/12/14 15:46

There is no freight service on the tracks used by the CVSR between Akron and Independence (Rockside Road). The track is owned by the National Park Service, which has spent a lot of money over the years to rebuild and maintain it.

I have not seen any information about when Akron-Canton service will resume this year. It had a rather abbreviated run last year, operating just once a month.

Date: 05/12/14 17:29
Author: renf

Does the paper Mill in Jaite no longer ship any products by rail? What about
the Akron sewerage plant in Botzum? Do they no longer get chemical by rail?

Date: 05/14/14 11:44
Author: Ruger338

When I was working in Cleveland for about 6 months in 2012 I got a chance to ride on the weekend a couple times. Great ride along some beautiful country, I would always get off in Peninsula for lunch. There is a beautiful vintage 1950's Pure filling station near one of the stops.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.064 seconds