Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak to open IT center in Georgia

Date: 04/30/15 11:31
Amtrak to open IT center in Georgia
Author: GenePoon

In response to question in earlier post several days ago, "Does anyone have any details on (Amtrak in Sandy Springs, GA)?  Sandy Springs is in suburban Atlanta...."

AMTRAK TO OPEN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY CENTER IN ATLANTA METRO AREA

Move creates jobs, expands Amtrak presence in Georgia

WASHINGTON – Amtrak announced today that it is opening an Information Technology (IT) Service Delivery Center in metro Atlanta later this summer. The new center, at Concourse Office Park in Sandy Springs, Ga., will support Amtrak IT operations nationwide.

Amtrak projects as many as 200 jobs may be created in the Atlanta metro area during the next two to five years as a result of its new IT Service Delivery Center. Amtrak currently employs nearly 50 people in Georgia and spent more than $78 million on goods and services in the state during the most recent fiscal year. Key information about Amtrak’s presence in Georgia can be found online at

http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/factsheets/GEORGIA14.pdf

Amtrak’s Crescent service travels twice daily between New York City and New Orleans, and serves Atlanta’s Peachtree Station.

"We are excited to come to Georgia. The opening of this service delivery center strengthens our IT operations and allows us to deliver service more effectively and efficiently for our business and customers,” said Jason Molfetas, Amtrak Chief Information Officer and Executive Vice President. “Our employees must continue to have the best technology capabilities that provide quick access to information, link to critical processes and connect with customers in a rapidly evolving marketplace.”

“The Atlanta metropolitan area provides America’s Railroad® a strong market to acquire and retain talent and is a component of the IT transformation at Amtrak,” said Dave Hudson, Chief Business Strategy Officer of IT and SVP of Technology Strategy.

In addition to the Sandy Springs facility, Amtrak IT operations are also based in Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and Wilmington, Del.

Source: Amtrak press release

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/15 11:36 by GenePoon.

Date: 04/30/15 12:07
Re: Amtrak to open IT center in Georgia
Author: Lackawanna484

IT facilities are often prize catches for business development teams.  Good jobs, clean business, etc.

I'm guessing that Amtrak won't pay property taxes as a government agency /  entity, so the economic development agency didn't need to use any tax credits etc for the deal.

It probably won't be difficult to get volunteers from Wilmington or DC to consider a transfer after this winter

Date: 04/30/15 12:08
Author: sums007

Will this bring decent Wi-Fi to the Northeast Corridor?:(

Date: 04/30/15 13:51
Author: march_hare

Does this mean that Julie will now have a southern accent?

Date: 04/30/15 14:40
Author: MEKoch

Y'all come pay us a visit......

Date: 04/30/15 16:10
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does this mean that Julie will now have a southern
> accent?

Haha. "Train Number 6 is fixin' to be late into Reno."

Date: 05/01/15 09:56
Author: Technology-Jeske

Hmmm... combining my love of Amtrak.. and IT.... I think i might throw my hat in the ring.....

Date: 05/01/15 10:31
Author: ctillnc

> Does this mean that Julie will now have a southern accent?

Difficult to find a southern accent in metro Atlanta anymore. Seriously.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0578 seconds