Home Open Account Help 403 users online

Passenger Trains > Trackside Memorial Tells A Story

Date: 11/30/16 09:53
Trackside Memorial Tells A Story
Author: walstib

A ghost bike, chained to a cross along the Pacific Coast Highway at Faria Beach, stands as a reminder that a bicyclist died here, as the Coast Starlight streaks past last night.

Jose Luis Carmona, 40, was walking his mountain bike along the Pacific Coast Highway on March 5, 2011, when he was struck and killed by a suspected drunken driver who fled the scene, according to the Ventura County Star.

Police arrested a Ventura woman who said she had been drinking beer at a party, and was distracted by her baby when the collision occurred, the Star reported. Police found her vehicle, with extensive damage and a shattered windshield, parked in front of the woman’s home. 

Shannon Richard was found guilty of leaving the scene of an accident, according to the newspaper. She was sentenced to 270 days in jail and three years probation, the newspaper reported. Although originally arrested on suspicion of drunken driving, she was only charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

Ghost bike memorials began in St. Louis in 2003 as a way to remember cyclists killed. Hundreds of memorials have since been erected in more than two dozen countries, according to the group’s Web site, ghostbikes.org.

Date: 11/30/16 13:48
Re: Trackside Memorial Tells A Story
Author: wigwag

Wow! 270 days in jail. I hope she comes out totally reformed after enduring that stiff sentence! Meanwhile, the victim will still be dead.....

Date: 11/30/16 15:29
Author: Cumbresfan

wigwag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow! 270 days in jail. I hope she comes out
> totally reformed after enduring that stiff
> sentence! Meanwhile, the victim will still be
> dead.....

If she was arrested sometime after striking the bicyclist there would not be a definitive way to prove she was drunk at the time of the incident. Unfortunately, if experience in New Mexico is any indication, she will again have an accident caused by her driving while under the influence. At that point and unable to leave because of vehicle damage she will be arrested. If it's a death, hopefully she will be sent to jail for quite a bit longer than the first time. However the New Mexico experience is that the typical drunk driver has had multiple arrests (dismissed or slap on the wrist) and not until he/she commits a very serious crime with one or more deaths (especially young children) will the offender face any serious jail time. That's just the way it is in the Land of Enchantment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/16 17:32 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 11/30/16 19:20
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

You know DUIs are a problem in New Mexico just by how often you see these signs. I mainly travel up and down Highway 180 between Silver City and Alpine and I see them everywhere!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1811 seconds