Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Passenger Trains > Chicago first class lounge?

Date: 06/17/04 18:53
Chicago first class lounge?
Author: santafedan

From time to time I read a comment that the lounge is packed. I will be there in July. I arrive on 317 and out on 7. Is it so busy and jammed that I should wander more than I plan?

Date: 06/17/04 20:13
Re: Chicago first class lounge?
Author: thrucar

santafedan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From time to time I read a comment that the lounge
> is packed. I will be there in July. I arrive on
> 317 and out on 7. Is it so busy and jammed that I
> should wander more than I plan?

I think it depends on the time of day. In mid to late afternoon, during the hours leading up to the departure of the California Zephyr, the Southwest Chief and the Capital Ltd, it can get pretty packed. Also before the Lakeshore departs. That's how it was last time I was there (Sept, 2001) At other times, I suspect it's practically empty.

Date: 06/17/04 20:33
Author: GenePoon

But this summer, don't go looking for the Chicago First Class ("Metropolitan") Lounge where you have found it previously.

Just a few days ago it was closed for a much-needed renovation. The interim First Class lounge is off the Great Hall. It's a longer walk to the platforms, unfortunately.

Date: 06/17/04 21:14
Author: BobB

The Metropolitan Lounge is a great idea, but in my mind its primary purpose is as a place where I can go when I get off a train, drop my bags, and head off for a wandering walk (generally at a brisk pace) around downtown Chicago (otherwise known as the Loop); if I'm going west there's usually time to walk to the lake and take in a museum for a few hours. I've even taken a taxi to the Museum of Science and Industry (too long for a walk). By the time I get back to the station to catch my train the lounge is usually jam-packed with people. If I time it right I can get there right after they've called my train; otherwise I find a seat if I'm lucky or wander around the station (making sure not to miss my train) until I can board. The only disadvantage of train travel is the lack of exercise, and the time between trains in Chicago gives me a chance to make up for that.

Date: 06/18/04 05:33
Author: RFandPFan

I was there last weekend. During the weekend afternoons when the SW Chief arrives/leaves, Empire Builder and Capitol Ltd all show up, the place was packed. No place to sit, long lines at the counter. I've never had this problem during the week, Saturdays and Sundays seem to be the worst.

Date: 06/18/04 06:32
Author: GBNorman

When connecting with a BNSF Suburban train, I simply use the Great Hall (incidentally, that term is Amtrakese; it was the head house during "railroad days"). First, it is far easier for aged eyes to read in natural sunlight coming through the skylights (would have they still been painted over had it not been for the 1980 fire?), secondly, cell phones work "a might bit better" out there than in "the Met".

I believe it was during a Feb 02 trip that I decided "the Met" simply wasn't worth it for all the reasons previously noted by others - plus it was "reeking' of diesel exhaust. With "roundly" a dozen "ops" to use it since then (i.e. arriving or departing Amtrak Sleeper), haven't been near it once.

Date: 06/18/04 07:28
Author: meh

GBNorman Wrote:
> [...] natural sunlight coming through the [Chicago
> Union Station] skylights (would have they still been
> painted over had it not been for the 1980 fire?)

What fire? It appears to have been something significant (warranting a definite article, "the"), but this is the first I've heard of it. (I'll confess, as an 8th grader in Kansas, I did not follow Chicago railroad news. I was content to watch MoPac's small yard from my middle school and Frisco locals from my bedroom.)

Thanks in advance for any additional details any of you can add about this.

Date: 06/18/04 08:25

Picture's worth a thousand words:
http://www.chicagofirestore.com/p113.html

Date: 06/18/04 10:48
Chicago Union Station fire

GBNorman Wrote:
> Picture's worth a thousand words:

That's definitely a dramatic photo. I looked up that 26 July 1980 was a Saturday, so I hope the station was less busy than on a weekday and that all were evacuated safely.

The photo's thousand words still leave some questions unanswered. What caused the fire? What were its effects on commuter and intercity train operations and for how long? Were Amtrak and commuter railroad offices then in the upper levels of Union Station, and if so, what effect did the fire have on their administrative functions, reservations, etc.? Finally, was the "modern" part of the current station built (or rebuilt) after the fire? (I'm referring to the area adjacent to the platforms, east of Canal Street, under the 20-some-story office building, where Metra ticketing and Amtrak ticketing and waiting rooms are. Metra did not yet exist in 1980, did it?)

Sorry if this is straying too far from the Metropolitan lounge topic. But it has raised my curiosity about this part of Chicago Union Station's history--an event which I'd never heard of before today. Thanks.

Date: 06/18/04 11:26
Author: wabash2800

Summer must already be here Dan. I noticed the lounge was jam packed headed out Monday at 6 pm. The line wasn't going out the door yet--but close. I think part of the problem is that some of the trains--especially the Chicago-Detroit trains are used by commuters.

Date: 06/18/04 17:04
Author: DanV

GBNorman Wrote:
> Picture's worth a thousand words:
> http://www.chicagofirestore.com/p113.html

Any pictures of the damage caused to Union Station by that "Silver Streak" LA - Chicago runaway train that smahed "into Union Station, on its way to Marshall Fields" ?

Just kidding, I know it was a movie.

Date: 06/19/04 09:07

Actually, Mr. Dan V, those canopied platforms are a good 500 miles long starting at the C&NW Station in Chicago and ending at the Concourse at Toronto Union Station.

Wisest move Amtrak ever made was declining any production assistance to that piece of tripe titled "Silver Streak".

Now on to "The Fire".

The fire at CUS did occurr on Saturday July 26, 1980. At the time, my office with the MILW was located there.

The fire was confined to the Head House (Great Hall) and reportedly started in an electrical cabinet. There was one fatality sustained - a vagrant overcome by smoke.

Although I was out of town the Monday following, by Tuesday when I retruned, foot traffic had been routed around the extensively damaged Great Hall. Board Up crews certainly know how to "get on with it'. However, the entire building smelled of smoke, and several colleagues who had respiratory problems simply could not work.

Naturally, apples get polished in the railroad industry. The first floor in the offices to be complete3ly repainted "just happened' to be the eigth floor where the MILW Executive Offices were located. Within a month, that area was "back to normal". "The rest of us stiffs", be we with the MILW, Amtrak, or ConRail simply had to "wait our turn".

Our Internal Audit office was probably relocated three times during the "rehab"; at one time all ten of us were simply at a Conference Room table!!!

But it was "fun" to watch the Great Hall being restored, as distinct from simply being "patched up". The skylights I previously noted were all replaced; this obviated the "blackout" paint placed there during WWII (the Germans and Japanese had some REAL long range bombers, lest we forget!!!).

Finally during about March 1981, a colleague said, "guess what, the employee lounge (Great Hall) is open.

All told I applaud the "loving care" that was taken with the restoration as do I appreciate the maintenance Amtrak continues to give the building. At that time CUS was still owned by the "Four Roads" (ConRail a double share as successor to the PRR and P, FW, & C -The Fort Wayne; C&A (successor GM&O) never had any ownership) and I had often noted that they were "overinsured' when considering the deductible level the owners had with their own "property and casualty" lines. However, in this case, it was just as well; for had it not been for that insurance coverage, I wonder what kind of "patch up job' would have been done.

Date: 06/19/04 12:32
Author: DanV

The Great Hall brings back allot of nostalgia. I guess you can sit back in one of those wooden benches close your eyes looking up to the ceilings and almost hear train announcements back in the 50's & 60's

"Attention please, Train # 1 the Denver Zephyr is now boarding..." or "...train # 25 the North Coast Limited is ready for boarding..." or "...Now arriving on track x train # 6 the Morning Hiawatha".

Date: 06/19/04 17:00
Chicago Union Station history

GBNorman Wrote:
> The fire at CUS did occurr on Saturday July 26,
> 1980. At the time, my office with the MILW was
> located there.

Seeking more details of Chicago Union Station history, I found this electronic reproduction of an ICC document which details the Chicago Union Station corporate history. While worded in the arcane language of a government financial report, it does provide some interesting details of the arrangement by which the four "proprietary companies, through equal ownership of its capital stock" shared Union Station facilities (including office space) and operating expenses.

Date: 06/20/04 05:36
Re: Chicago Union Station history

Since we are sort of "straying" into the sub-topic of CUS anecdotes, here is one.

I wonder if any here have noted the "esplanade' that extends right out to River's edge in front of #10, 120 (buildings between Madison & Adams, and 222 S. Riverside Plaza (over Concourse). Possibly also noted is the absence of such in front of #300 (over South tracks).

Before proceeding, we should note that the through track closest to the River is NOT CUS property. Rather it is owned by the P, FW, & C's, the Fort Wayne, successors (NS, I would guess).

When the development commenced circa 1965, the developers, Equitable Life (now AXA Financial), agreed of course with CUSCo, but also separately with the PRR, for air rights over the Fort Wayne's ROW so that the attractive "River Walk" esplanade could be built. This was the case for 10,120, and 222.

However, when #300 was developed in the early 80's, PRR was "under new management" known as ConRail. Well, "at the table", someone with Equitable and someone with ConRail "didn't like one another", and the parties were unable to come together over the Fort Wayne's air rights in front of 300.

The result is visible to anyone looking accross Jackson at the eyesore between the River and the CUS property line.

The ironic thing is now that the Post Office at Van Buren is being redeveloped as upscale "condos", it certainly would be a plus if there were to be an unbroken "River Walk" esplanade between Van Buren and Madison.

A few "handshakes" could work wonders. However, I guess anyone here who has been involved with commercial real estate transactions knoweth of what I speaketh.

Date: 06/21/04 05:45
Author: RFandPFan

Another piece of history is that the movie "The Untouchables" was partially filmed there. In the scene where they captured Al Capone's accountant, they used the stairway off the street to the Grand Hall. If you remember the scene where Kevin Coster and Andy Garcia shot the bodyguards while to woman with the baby carriage was going down the stairs. The stairs look almost exactly the same except they had older more authentic street signs above the doors.

Date: 06/21/04 07:31

I concur, Mr. RF&P, that scene you note from "The Untouchables" was filmed on location at CUS. However, Al Capone, lest we forget, was captured, and subsequently was convicted of Tax Evasion.

I cannot recall if there was ever a "real life cops and robbers shoot out' with a "marquee name bad guy" at CUS.

Also filmed on location at CUS "during my days" with the MILW was a Gary Coleman flick "On the Right Track'. Filming motion pictures sure "tie things up". Since Chicago actively solicits this business from movie production companies, the traffic reporters often intone "Such and Such to Such and Such is shut down today for a filming". Oh well, one more high speed car chase or shootout in the annals of Chicago.

Date: 06/21/04 09:07
Author: HaggisKennedy

GenePoon Wrote:
> But this summer, don't go looking for the Chicago
> First Class ("Metropolitan") Lounge where you have
> found it previously.
>
> Just a few days ago it was closed for a
> much-needed renovation. The interim First Class
> lounge is off the Great Hall. It's a longer walk
> to the platforms, unfortunately.

Thanks for the update. I'll be there in a couple weekends from now on the way west on the EB....

Kennedy

Date: 06/21/04 09:09
Author: HaggisKennedy

RFandPFan Wrote:
> I was there last weekend. During the weekend
> afternoons when the SW Chief arrives/leaves,
> Empire Builder and Capitol Ltd all show up, the
> place was packed. No place to sit, long lines at
> the counter. I've never had this problem during
> the week, Saturdays and Sundays seem to be the
> worst.

Yup. Was like that last year. Then, I just dropped off all my luggage into the storage area and wandered out elsewhere. It was much cooler as well in the other waiting area.

Kennedy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1181 seconds