Home Open Account Help 192 users online

Passenger Trains > Rail Force One Progress

Date: 06/02/05 21:30
Rail Force One Progress
Author: RioGrandeFan

Those of you looking to catch Rail Force One east of Denver are going to have to wait another couple days. It was uncoupled in Denver this evening. Not sure when it will continue east but for now it sits in Denver. The UP loco was removed as well. Amtrak had two extra units in Denver and one was added to replace the UP SD70M. The other private car "Northern Sky Charters - Northern Dream" will continue east from Denver this evening.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 06/02/05 22:46
Re: Rail Force One Progress
Author: otter__1

Please stand back from the car at all times. This is a PV not open to the public. & no the twins are not with us on this trip... thank you

Date: 06/02/05 22:53

otter__1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please stand back from the car at all times. This
> is a PV not open to the public. & no the twins
> are not with us on this trip... thank you

Date: 06/03/05 01:01
Author: JohnThomas

I was in DC on 1/20/2005, and was quite surprised to find this beautiful car sitting at Union Station in Presidential livery. I walked right up to it and took several photos without being hassled. Meanwhile, in a nearby room, Amtrak Police held a briefing (presumably with several other agencies) about that night's Freedom Ball that had the Great Hall and most retail shops closed all day.

You have to see this car up close to truly appreciate it!

Date: 06/03/05 01:53
Author: alex14ramos

otter__1 Wrote:
> This is a PV not open to the public.

Heh, that is why it is called a private car, if it was open to the public, it would be called a Public Car. ; - )

Date: 06/03/05 08:25
Author: DRGW5502

Ooooo I'm gonna get it!

Date: 06/03/05 12:19
Author: prionw

Is "Rail _Force_ One" an official name or just something railfans came up with? Where does the "Force" part come from? (OK, Obiwan, nevermind ;-)

When the pres is on Air Force One, that's named after the "United State Air Force". When he's on the helicopter, it's just "Marine One", not Marine Force One for the same reason.

Just sounds silly...

WP

Date: 06/03/05 14:25
Author: RioGrandeFan

Just a name railfans came up with. Not sure if it even has a name. Just fun to call it "Rail Force One" as everyone can figure out what you are talking about. I told my dad that I was going to see Rail Force One on Amtrak and he figured out that it was a Presidential private car pretty fast.

Just an identifier that's all.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 06/03/05 16:40

I am the guy that manages the moves of cincinnati based north star,,,,not rail force one which the staff does not appreciate. the car will begin a private charter from denver to new yorks penn station on saturday. after laying over in chicago for a day it will continue on to new york on the lakeshore. it will then return on the cardinal to cincy.

I will say the passengers and crew have greatly enjoyed reading of all the dignataries and politicians that have supposidly been riding the car around the country. they also found it interesting to learn of all the security upgrades that were done in texas.

The "dude in the dark glasses" sends his regards to all the railfans.

Date: 06/04/05 09:17
Author: DaveE

otter__1 Wrote:
> I am the guy that manages the moves of cincinnati
> based north star,,,,not rail force one which the
> staff does not appreciate. the car will begin a
> private charter from denver to new yorks penn
> station on saturday. after laying over in chicago
> for a day it will continue on to new york on the
> lakeshore. it will then return on the cardinal to
> cincy.
>
> I will say the passengers and crew have greatly
> enjoyed reading of all the dignataries and
> politicians that have supposidly been riding the
> car around the country. they also found it
> interesting to learn of all the security upgrades
> that were done in texas.
>
> The "dude in the dark glasses" sends his regards
> to all the railfans.

Not to be a wise guy or anything like that ;-p, but if the staff doesn't appreciate the term "Rail Force One", then why is that nickname listed on the Cincinnati Railway Company website?

http://www.cincinnatirailway.com/privatecars.htm#star

Also in that same page, is the statement that (copying this from the website)

"Major renovations began in 2004 to upgrade security features that support the needs of post-9-11 campaigns. Trans-Texas Rail shop in San Antonio, Texas heavily rebuilt this to include ballistic glass and strategic armoring in critical areas of the car. The Pullman is also fully self sufficient with two diesel generators."

So from where I sit reading both your post and the homepage for this car, one or the other seems to be incorrect.

Date: 06/04/05 18:41
Author: bnsfsd70

So what day is this car going to leave Chicago on the Lake Shore? I'd be interested in seeing it up in Toledo. Thanks, Jeff

Date: 06/05/05 12:07
Author: PRR1223

otter__1 Wrote:
> I am the guy that manages the moves of cincinnati
> based north star,,,,not rail force one which the
> staff does not appreciate. the car will begin a
> private charter from denver to new yorks penn
> station on saturday. after laying over in chicago
> for a day it will continue on to new york on the
> lakeshore. it will then return on the cardinal to
> cincy.
>
> I will say the passengers and crew have greatly
> enjoyed reading of all the dignataries and
> politicians that have supposidly been riding the
> car around the country. they also found it
> interesting to learn of all the security upgrades
> that were done in texas.
>
> The "dude in the dark glasses" sends his regards
> to all the railfans.

Not to be a wise guy or anything like that ;-p, but if the staff doesn't appreciate the term "Rail Force One", then why is that nickname listed on the Cincinnati Railway Company website?

http://www.cincinnatirailway.com/privatecars.htm#star

Also in that same page, is the statement that (copying this from the website)

"Major renovations began in 2004 to upgrade security features that support the needs of post-9-11 campaigns. Trans-Texas Rail shop in San Antonio, Texas heavily rebuilt this to include ballistic glass and strategic armoring in critical areas of the car. The Pullman is also fully self sufficient with two diesel generators."

So from where I sit reading both your post and the homepage for this car, one or the other seems to be incorrect.

It seems otter_1 seems to think himself the lead agent attached to this detail. Brian, DeWitt, can you shed any light on this. Thanks, Scott

Date: 05/25/07 08:39
Author: SPSF_luvr

i knew that i saw that car somewheres, i live in san antonio, and saw that car a the ttr shops my friend works there

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1195 seconds