Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Dallas/Ft. Worth railfanning suggestions needed

Date: 08/18/09 08:23
Dallas/Ft. Worth railfanning suggestions needed
Author: pilotblue

Hello to All,

I am heading down to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area for the annual "in-laws" visit. I'll have a few days for "Train Hunting" as my MIL calls it. (Do you need a license for that in Texas?) I'd like some suggestions on busy/safe areas to railfan UP/BNSF/KCS or any of the shortlines. I may go down to Fort Hood to visit their museum. Can you see any of the Army's rail operations there or is access restricted?

All assistance/advice appreciated!

Date: 08/18/09 08:29
Re: Dallas/Ft. Worth railfanning suggestions needed
Author: sp8192

Dallas Amtrak platform I got run off by a rent-a-cop. Saginaw, TX just north of Fort Worth is your best bet. Lots of train action and no one bothers you.

Date: 08/18/09 08:37
Author: SP7615

I'm not from the DFW area but I do frequent that area several times a year and yes Saginaw is the best bet for train action. You might also check out Hwy 156 which follows the BNSF Ft. Worth northward/southward some good shot are to be had along this road.

SP7615

Date: 08/18/09 09:40
Author: gman1

Highway 156 is also known as Blue Mound Rd. and you can follow it from Saginaw (look for the grain elevators) as it follows the former Santa Fe Red Rock sub north. Not too far north of town you'll find Alliance Yard on the BNSF and the intermodal facility there near Alliance airport and Texas Motor Speedway. The Heartland Limited uses this route to Oklahoma City. In Saginaw you are already on highway 287, you can follow it west as it parallels the Wichita Falls sub, (former Fort Worth and Denver). My friend NOMOSANTAFE loves the accordion like profile of the terrain there and the highway follows the railroad through what I consider classic Texas prairie. The chamber of commerce is located in a nicely restored depot and there is a viewing platform on the rear deck. (I have tried to talk them into buying a scanner with an external speaker to no avail, they have also spoken of building some sort of grain/railroad museum but that hasn't come together yet) Heading south they all sort of come more or less together into town a couple of blocks west of Main street, including the UP Duncan Sub (former Rock Island, I think) and you'll cross the Fort Worth and Western (former Cotton Belt) through the stockyards historic district. downtown there is the former Santa Fe depot just down the street from the new intermodal transportation center. A few blocks away past tower 55 (biggest traffic nightmare in the country) you'll find the art deco masterpiece Texas and Pacific terminal/office building. In central Fort Worth you'll find the UP's east - west main line. the yard formerly known as Centennial Yard (now known as Davidson Yard and during the Texas and Pacific era known as Lancaster Yard)is near Vickery Street on the west side of town, its a pretty impressive yard especially with all the stored power through the middle of it...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.028 seconds