Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Help with railroad terms

Date: 04/24/10 22:18
Help with railroad terms
Author: trb

My wife is proof reading something railroad related and came across the following statement:

"storage place for the spikes and the cockanine and the hocum"

She knew what spikes are but has been unable to find anything that may relate to "cockanine" or "hocum". I was unable to find anything so I thought I would ask here. She said it might be words that sound similar but were not copied correctly. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Todd

Date: 04/24/10 23:05
Re: Help with railroad terms
Author: erielackawanna

Since cockamamie and hokum are so close... I wonder if it's just someone's way of saying assorted trash?

That being said, I honestly don't know.

Date: 04/24/10 23:43
Author: fredkharrison

Common slang of yesteryear, and not in any particular way railroad slang

cocanine
1) noun, variation of cocaine
2) noun, insanity or nonsense

hokum, hocum
1) noun, slang claptrap; bunk; empty and insincere talk
2) noun, slang, obvious or hackneyed material of a sentimental nature in a play, film, etc.
Etymology: probably a blend of hocus-pocus and bunkum

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

Date: 04/25/10 11:00
Author: spnudge

I seem to recall "Hocum" was a sealer of some sort. The other may be wood plugs that came in a burlap sack.

Nudge

Date: 04/25/10 13:08
Author: highgreengraphics

"Oakum" was a 1- to 1 1/2-inch thick loose burlap twine soaked in some kind of petroleum oil that we used as packing to seal signal installations, nickname "hore's hair", utilized as a backer for "Duxseal", a thick, semi-soft rubbery clay sealer dark gray in color that was hand-worked and packed on top of the Oakum at the surface, nicknamed "Ape S--t". Many a signal installation where cables enter signal houses at the weatherhead and bottoms of wayside and crossing signal masts are done with hore's hair and ape s--t to seal out water; rodents, snakes and bugs also find the combination very distasteful. You can still find both at plumbing supply houses.

I do not believe, however that "Oakum" is what your original question is in reference to. --- --- - --- JLH

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/10 12:12 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 04/25/10 23:57
Author: SPGP9

Never heard it called duxseal but have called it duct seal. Also, the term we used in the service was "monkey s---".

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1204 seconds