Home Open Account Help 399 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Moffat Tunnel Train Counts (Jan-April)

Date: 05/02/16 12:37
UP Moffat Tunnel Train Counts (Jan-April)
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Hello!

I know that I started off the year with some train counts on UP's Moffat Tunnel Sub. Then, as always seems to be the case with me, life catches up to me and kicks my you-know-what for awhile. Finally got a little time though to post a few graphics of train counts for the first third of 2016.

===============

1. This line graph shows average train count (per day) for each week of 2016 thus far. Week 4 has been the busiest with an average of 8 trains per day. Week 13 has been slowest with and average of under 6 trains per day. The red line is a polynomial trendline showing a bit of a roller coaster so far this year.

2. This bar graph shows total number of eastbounds and westbounds each week. With the exception of three weeks (8, 15, and 16), westbounds have outnumbered (or tied) eastbounds.

3. Simlar chart to #2, just showing the east and westbounds stacked for a total train count indicator.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/16 08:43 by ColoradoRailfan.

Date: 05/02/16 12:37
Re: UP Moffat Tunnel Train Counts (Jan-April)
Author: ColoradoRailfan

4. Again, similar to #2, this bar chart just shows east and westbounds for each month of 2016.

5. And similar to #3, the east and west counts are stacked to show total number of trains.

6. And lastly, just for fun, a breakdown of the average number of trains by day of the week. Interestingly, Saturday looks to be a good day to get trackside as there have been nearly 9 trains per 24 hour period. Tuesdays are the slowest on average, with just a hair over 6 trains per 24 hour period.

===============

These counts all do include Amtrak and well as the West Local which runs (occassionally) on Wednesdays. I will do my best to post similar slides at least once a month, if not each week!

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 05/02/16 12:59
Author: mearsksealand

Great work ----thanks for your time spent--interesting info

Dale Smith

Date: 05/02/16 13:10
Author: SCKP187

Nice information and chart work.
Brian Stevens

Date: 05/02/16 13:35
Author: wheelnrail

Thank you Kevin! These graphs help tremendously with planning and trends. They kind of remind me of the Joint Line Cam graphs of trains/hr at Monument. Wish we still had it.

Date: 05/02/16 18:13
Author: grandroad

Kevin - Interesting work. Thanks for posting.

Paul Brennecke
Golden, CO

Date: 05/03/16 08:01
Author: ntharalson

This is not only interesting but informative.  Now, the question is; How many are UP and how many are BNSF?
I would expect the UP count to be higher.  Also, how many of each road ran every day/week?  Here I would
expect BNSF to have a straighter graph.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 05/03/16 21:01
Author: Diamond_D

Great info! Having been out 3 times in the past month, it seemed like the daylight hours have been busier lately than they were earlier in the year, and the graphs seem to back that up. Although 8 trains per day is hardly a parade, it's a heck of a lot better than none!

Date: 05/04/16 08:26
Author: Notch8

Great information Kevin.  As one who frequents the line when he travels to Denver and has time outside of meetings and enjoy any time on the line.  Glad to see at least activity.  With the way the utlities are moving away from carbon and nuke right now I enjoy seeing each coal train when I am on the line.  Im at the IEEE T&D Utility conference and the parade of the carbon-free generation continues to be pushed to higher percentages.  Again thanks Kevin.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0806 seconds