Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Steam & Excursion > Q's on NKP #765 Employee Excursions

Date: 07/24/12 09:33
Q's on NKP #765 Employee Excursions
Author: NSTopHat

I'm going to Williamson, WV in 10 days to chase the 765 up and down the Pokey. I have a couple of questions, that some of you guys who have already seen her may be able to answer. I chased the 630 when it was here in Atlanta and know that things will be different.

First, what time have they been leaving for the morning runs on Sat/Sun? The Atlanta runs were at 8 am, 10 am, 1 pm and 3 pm.

Second, what is NS allowing as max speed for the 765? Max track speed for NS trains and light power is 35 mph or less depending on turnouts, curves, etc. I know Amtrak is typically higher in other locations. Wasn't sure if NS was going to try and open her up to higher speeds.

Thanks,
NSTopHat

Date: 07/24/12 10:12
Re: Q's on NKP #765 Employee Excursions
Author: johnacraft

NSTopHat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First, what time have they been leaving for the
> morning runs on Sat/Sun? The Atlanta runs were at
> 8 am, 10 am, 1 pm and 3 pm.

Ummm . . . the Atlanta trips were at 9 and 11, not 8 and 10.

The first employee trip has consistently been at 9am - Atlanta, Spencer, Roanoke, Knoxville, and Bellevue.

> Second, what is NS allowing as max speed for the 765?

40mph.

Date: 07/24/12 22:00
Author: toledopatch

Bellevue was 9, 12, and 3, except that they couldn't load, run, and unload the Bucyrus itinerary in three hours -- took 'em more like 3-3/4 per cycle on the Saturday, at least.

Toledo was going to be 9, 12, and 3 also, but now it has been changed to 11 and 2. With the HA lighting that schedule promises, I hope they can't make the three-hour schedule in Toledo, either. (And yes, I know they're not running these trains for the benefit of railfans, but that doesn't deny me the right to have my personal little hope.)

40 mph was definitely what they were running last Saturday on the Sandusky District.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/12 22:02 by toledopatch.

Date: 07/26/12 10:17
Author: steam290

It was funny to me that the excursions were allowed 40 mph, and the the bussed that bussed us back were doing 70 on over crowded highways with 18 wheelers and tight clearances. Is this irony?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0292 seconds