Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Steam & Excursion > CPR 2860

Date: 12/06/13 12:00
CPR 2860
Author: typebangin

When was the last time CPR Royal Hudson #2860 ran? And is she still operable? I know the excursions from North Vancouver are a thing of the past, but I believe this engine was returned to service a few years back. I can't find any info on the WCRA website. If she's operable, does she even have a place to run?

Thanks,
James
http://www.steamtrainvideos.com

Date: 12/06/13 12:20
Re: CPR 2860
Author: Keystone1

Yea...and how about the CP back-up engine, a Selkirk and/or a 4-8-4 that WAS under consideration???

Date: 12/06/13 12:31
Author: flash34

It is not currently operable, due to needing at least a periodic boiler inspection, if not more ( I'm not real familiar with the Canadian regs). I did see somewhere an announcement of a new fundraising effort to pay for the work. If I can find it I'll share it.

Date: 12/06/13 13:10
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

For those of you who are signed up with FaceBook,
here is the link to the "Royal Hudson #2860 Fan Club":
https://www.facebook.com/groups/4968165255/

Here is the official website of the West Coast Railway
Association, which houses the 2860, as part of their
collection of railroad rolling stock:
http://www.wcra.org/
but the site, although it has a prominent photo of the
2860 on the top of the home page, NEVER
even once mentions the 2860! Odd.....

I, too, had heard that the 2860 had run out of boiler
time, which, from what I have heard, is only around
5 years between major inspections, because the
Canadians had never changed their steal locomotive
boiler rules since the steam era.

Corrections cheerfully welcomed!

Margaret

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/13 23:47 by Margaret_SP_fan.

Date: 12/06/13 21:58
Author: oldhound

Hi James, I won't say too much about the 2860 being parked because I have a rather strong opinion, but the last trip it did was in 2010 and this photo was from that evening.

The Louis Vuitton company paid a good chunk of change to use the engine for the evening- shuttling guests from the parking area to this warehouse, which was turned into a "set" made to look like mid-century Paris.

The trip was not publicized, but a few people did get some snaps as she went back to Squamish on the following, REALLY rainy day.

I am no longer part of the WCRA, so I can't speak on their behalf, but the locomotive is parked (indefinitely) in a really fancy "garage" that people can rent to have cocktail parties...oops, and I said I wasn't going to give my opinion, so I will end it there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/13 22:03 by oldhound.

Date: 12/10/13 00:26
Author: choochoocharlie

Love the night shot above. Just adding a couple of my really old shots (now they are) of when the 2860 ventured South into the good old U.S. of A. These were taken on March 29th, 1977 at Mojave, California.

C.C.Chas.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds