Home Open Account Help 194 users online

Model Railroading > Sound Decoder for a FM Trainmaster

Date: 07/28/12 09:16
Sound Decoder for a FM Trainmaster
Author: livesteamer

Any suggestions for a sound decoder to install into a FM Trainmaster? I know that Tsunamia markets a FM sound decoder but it does not indicate that it is correct for the Trainmaster.

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 07/28/12 13:20
Re: Sound Decoder for a FM Trainmaster
Author: ATSF100WEST

In that FM only used the opposed piston engine, they should all sound pretty much the same. That said, the switchers may have fewer cylinders than the H-24-66. In that it doesn't mention a given FM locomotive model, however, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 07/28/12 16:38
Author: livesteamer

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Who really really know the difference between the switcher's OP engine and the sounds from the Trainmaster?

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 07/28/12 16:45
Author: kgmontreal

Sorry, but all FM's did not sound the same. Did an EMD SW1200 sound like a GP7? No! The same was true of FM's. So far I haven't heard a decent FM sound system. The QSI version that Atlas uses in their Train Masters is very poor. It bears only a passing resemblance to the real thing.

KG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/12 16:47 by kgmontreal.

Date: 07/28/12 18:39
Author: ACR_Ted

Exactly right...not all FM's sounded alike. I grew up in Upper Michigan in the mid '60's on the C&NW and I can still remember a difference between the H16-66 and the H10-44 engines. Now if I only had some tape recordings of them :). I can still hear them in my head - if only I could port that sound to a CD!

Ted

Date: 07/28/12 21:38
Author: wabash2800

Is not the only Trainmaster in existence located in Canada and not operational?

Date: 07/29/12 04:17
Author: kgmontreal

The only Train Master extant is at Exporail - The Canadian Railway Museum in St-Constant, QC and you're right it is not operational.

KG

Date: 07/29/12 08:19
Author: shallowwatersailor

I agree. I wish that I could have a recording of the four FMs that we had on-board ship. Nothing like standing between a pair to take lube oil readings on a rocking and rolling watch.

Date: 07/29/12 08:32
Author: DocJohn

Recordings are available. Get volume 1 of first generation diesels from daylightsales.com. URL for audio CD-ROM is http://www.daylightsales.com/product_info.php/cPath/2_12/products_id/539/osCsid/956ndhhagm1u5bjel7lgong927 .

Unfortunately, my ATLAS Trainmasters do not sound the same. The first generation Soundtraxx decoders do better.

The recording I need are the sounds from late model H16-44, which had GE electrical instead of Westinghouse.

John

Date: 07/30/12 18:34
Author: Arved

DocJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Recordings are available. Get volume 1 of first
> generation diesels from daylightsales.com. URL
> for audio CD-ROM is
> http://www.daylightsales.com/product_info.php/cPat
> h/2_12/products_id/539/osCsid/956ndhhagm1u5bjel7lg
> ong927 .

There are 5 recordings of Southern Pacific's F-M H-24-66 Train Masters at the Utah Rails web site:

http://utahrails.net/sounds-index.php

Date: 07/30/12 20:28
Author: sixaxlecentury

Not all of the FM OP's sound the same, not at all. The smaller ones are alot more "lumpier". One of the tugs I work on has an FM 8-38D81/8. Hearing a hook up, fully loaded OP is a sound you will never forget. Its a sound in its own world. Having to spend a week 6' away from one..can be a bit much.

FM made more engines then you can shake a stick at over the years, and the RR's only got to experience the 38's. There older, non OP engines are by far, the coolest, especially in sound, engines I have ever been around.

If the RR's had better maintenance routines, I think FM could have made it. Keep in mind, they ARE still made today, with the bigger OP's pushing 4000hp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/12 20:29 by sixaxlecentury.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0458 seconds