Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 08/06/15 16:45
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/21 01:02 by F40PHR231.

Date: 08/06/15 16:54
Re: FrontRunner rounding through Lehi
Author: timecruncher

Nice.  Don't know if the investment/cost was worth it, but this looks like a classy operation in a huge sprawled-out area.

Beautiful!

timecruncher

Date: 08/07/15 11:46
Author: atsf121

Nice photos Chris, I usually try ground level photos on the other side.

As for the "was it worth it" question, I would argue it was. I use it on occasion for trips to the airport or downtown Salt Lake. The trains are busy during commute hours and with all the growth it will help move people as we only have one north-south freeway.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/07/15 19:44
Author: icancmp193

For someone who lived in that area in 1981, it is all quite amazing!

Tom Y

Date: 08/08/15 08:51
Author: warren49

icancmp193 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For someone who lived in that area in 1981, it is
> all quite amazing!
>
> Tom Y

Not meant specifically to start a political discussion, but more to suggest there may be a myth regarding certain politcial viewpoints.  Frontrunner seems to be a pretty good, and relatively extensive system built in one, arguably the most, politically conservative areas of the United States.  It really does go against a sterotype.

Date: 08/08/15 10:49
Author: Phil1

I lived in SLC from '77 to Spring of '80 and this is amazing to see. I do ot intened to begin a political discourse, but  this would not have been imagined in a state where the ambient or general political timbre of the area is normally not friendly to such investments, but then no matter ones feelings about it , a crowded I-15 north and south affects everybody, even those who may not normally want to see something like this running in their traditionally more conservative state. Railrunner in New Mexico was initiated   during former Gov. Bill's reign and was tauted "Bill's Toys", and with a shift in the Governor's office to a lady who thinks differently, the system still runs from Santa Fe down to Belen and likely will for years to come if not even eventually be expanded to Las Vegas or  hopefully, all the way down to El Paso except for the problem of operational restrictions on  the Belen to El Paso leg. So no matter where ones stands on a political specrtum, there are some things we can not be wihout and an adequate, well run and useful rail transportation sytem is just one in light of continuing population increases and highway crowding with it's attendant pllution and wasted time. Wintess Soutern California which is realtively new to the commuter rail transportion world with its Metrolink system born after the 1994 earthquake and  still growing. Northern Calif. in the Bay area saw the light decades ago. Good shots of a beautiful part of our country.

Phil Blommendahl
Getzville, NY

Date: 08/08/15 18:14
Author: march_hare

warren49 Wrote:
> icancmp193 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > For someone who lived in that area in 1981, it
> is
> > all quite amazing!
> >
> > Tom Y
>
> Not meant specifically to start a political
> discussion, but more to suggest there may be a
> myth regarding certain politcial viewpoints. 
> Frontrunner seems to be a pretty good, and
> relatively extensive system built in one, arguably
> the most, politically conservative areas of the
> United States.  It really does go against a
> sterotype.

Yup it sure does. Rocky Mountain conservatism has a pragmatist streak that I really like.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/08/15 18:37
Author: mundo

Metrolink in LA was operating prior to the Earthquake.

Earthquake did expand it to Lancaster and Oxnard.

Date: 08/08/15 20:21
Author: cpn456

It is interesting how close they built the new commuter line to the UP (former DRGW) freight main.  Where the BNSF is currently adding additional main tracks, many areas have a good amount of space between the two mains.

Date: 08/08/15 20:26
Author: TrainStalker

Seeing Lone Peak in that second shot makes me homesick for Utah.  Great set of pics.

Date: 08/09/15 13:10
Author: atsf121

cpn456 Wrote:
> It is interesting how close they built the new
> commuter line to the UP (former DRGW) freight
> main.  Where the BNSF is currently adding
> additional main tracks, many areas have a good
> amount of space between the two mains.

The stretch through this curve and just a bit north by the rodeo grounds wasn't a wide right of way to begin with. So they had to squeeze the second track in and it's so close there are posts between the tracks to highlight the dividing line (and safety clearance I believe) between the two tracks. It would have required a lot of land acquisition to have the tracks further apart.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0538 seconds