Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Passenger Trains > Surfliners differences

Date: 11/30/00 15:30
Surfliners differences
Author: newpylong

What is the difference between these "Surfliners" and the Superliners? Also isn't there a Californian set?

Date: 11/30/00 15:41
RE: Surfliners differences
Author: MikeRonning

Surfliners are California Car II Fleet. They are different from the California I fleet that had no revenue coach seating in the Cafe Car. The baggage hull is in the cab car instead of one of the Coaches, as on the Valley Trains. There are Coach Seats in the Upper section of the Cafe car, and a lowered cafe area in that car.

These are just a few, but the Amtrak's dirty laundry will get hung in the open of CregoLand.

Date: 11/30/00 16:22
Author: djansson

California Cars (the originals) were finished up and rebuilt by Amerrail after the M-K rail people died a horrible business death (the details are too ugly to go into here). The original design called for five types of cars, of which the commute coaches were never built and I believe the State got less than what was planned of the other four types.

The Surfliner cars are built to the same general layout but by a different mfg (Alsthom) and using a better layout, except for the cafe car which only has lower level service. If you compare it to the California Cafe cars you'll see what I mean.

Both cars are "Superliner compatible" as to power and trainline connections, general size, and car-to-car door entrances. That's about it.

Surf the net and you can see all of the car layouts in detail.

Date: 11/30/00 17:58
Author: newpylong

One would think having all of their trainset's would be horrible to manage. Heritage, Amfleet, Metroliners, Viewliner, surf, super, etc.

wow!

Date: 11/30/00 20:57
Author: barrydraper

In addition, Surfliners and California Cars have two passenger doors on each side, and these are sliding powered trainlined doors, so all doors can be opened or closed by the Conductor from one control panel. (At least that's how it works on a good day). The Superliners, which were dseigned for long haul service, have a single manually opened door. Thus, you need a crew member at every door during a station stop. Also, Superliners come in the Sleeping Car version, which does not exist, and is not currently planned, for Surfliners or California Cars.

Date: 12/01/00 13:45
Author: sfmike

barrydraper wrote:
>
> The Superliners, which were dseigned for long haul
> service, have a single manually opened door. Thus, you need a
> crew member at every door during a station stop.

You may need them, but you don't always have them. One my recent trip cross-country, many were the times that my sleeper wasn't opened at a station stop. Even though there were no boardings or discharges for the car at that stop, lot's of us passenger like to step off and sample the fresh air at each stop. There were usually several frustrated first class passengers in the vestibule.

Date: 12/01/00 17:55
Author: frequentflyer

Didn't they use the Superliner blueprint as a start? True these cars have more doors or different interior layout,but don't they share the same trucks and underpinnings?

You could take a bare Surfliner or Califorina car,paint it in phase IV,and from the outside,aside from some fluting at top,and two doors on the lower level,you would not be able to tell the difference.

California,or Surfliner,they seem to be variations of the Superliner theme.

Date: 12/01/00 18:32
Author: Crashela

Just ride one of each, you can definitely tell the difference. As I understand, the Surfliners are on the exact same trucks the SuperlinerIIs use, which is great and all, except the Surfliners weigh a total of 20 tons (!!!) less, resulting in a POOR ride.

Enjoy the Surfliners while they are new, they will succede in beating themselves to death the way they ride. Its no wonder the cars already experience door failures...

Crashela.
CregoLand, where reality ends and the fun begins!
(but they say it's a positive thing, a real positive thing...)

Date: 12/01/00 18:54
RE: Surfliners differences/SF Mike
Author: UDE

sfmike wrote:
> You may need them, but you don't always have them. One my
> recent trip cross-country, many were the times that my sleeper
> wasn't opened at a station stop. Even though there were no
> boardings or discharges for the car at that stop, lot's of us
> passenger like to step off and sample the fresh air at each
> stop. There were usually several frustrated first class
> passengers in the vestibule.

Mike: This all boils down to a safety issue. Even if there were automatic doors, you would not want to step off for fresh air.

During the night stops, the only two people awake in the train are the Conductor & Asst. Conductor. Chances are one or both of them are helping passengers upstairs with their luggage as well as pulling their tickets. Many stops with small numbers of passengers boarding have short platforms, and make double spots when necessary to board passengers. If you were to step off in the dark, chances are that nobody would see you, and the train would depart. Trust me, unless you're on a platform, you do NOT want to get back on a train from the ballast or dirt. Sometimes this is a 3 foot step from the ballast (translated not easy to do).

Your train could be making switching moves or reverse movements as well. If your non-experienced at boarding moving equipment, you probably will fall. NOT a safe thing to do either. You could get caught in the middle of a number of things, and the conductor might not know you were off the train.

If nobody comes to your door, I would recommend opening the window when the train stops. Signs say not to, but it's safe when you get stopped. The conductor or attendant may get upset, but if they do, just don't do it again. Keep the window closed while you're moving though; close clearance track flags, or flying debris could seriously, if not fatally, injure you.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0648 seconds