Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Same train derails again on KP

Date: 10/06/05 20:14
Same train derails again on KP
Author: upkpfan

cozephyr, posted on here late Sat. about the CWEAK 29 E/B coal train that derailed around Kit Carson in the early afternoon. Had UP 6062, 6883, and DPU was 6469. When it got to Salina, KS early this morning on 10-6-05, a rail broke and derailed 4 more cars. These were the new CMO 504000 series cars built 7-05. First car stayed upright and the next 3 tipped over and really dug into the ground. Didn't appear to be to badly damaged as the was no car contact except by couplers. Hulcher was clearing up the mess. A backhoe was brought in from Topeka where it was working for 3 days on the flood there. The Marysville sub has 4 bridges washed out. One of them was a new bridge. I think that would be the one on Soldier Creek that was destroyed last year when a cola trainderailed there and took out the bridge. It was rebuilt as a new one. When it rains, it pours. They had 12" in 6 hours time. upkpfan

Date: 10/06/05 22:09
Re: Same train derails again on KP
Author: rich6000

Hey Marv I think the bridge your thinking about is the one in Silver Lake that goes over Soldier Creek.

Date: 10/07/05 05:04
Author: gp60

Wonder where they are stashing all the loaded coal trains headed east. Things have been very dead on the west end of the KP here in Aurora Co. Are they are rerouting loaded coal and autorack trains elseware? I did see one loaded coal headed east wed. late afternoon thought thing might get moving again. Speaking of rain we haven't had hardly a drop in months in the Denver/ Aurora area. Thanks for the UP/date get it? DW

Date: 10/07/05 08:54
Author: James1

They've been running at least some of them over the CNW. Alot of them go down through Des Moines, and many go through Pekin. Lots of symbols out there I've never seen before the last few days.

Date: 10/07/05 12:06
Flodding and Washouts
Author: imrl

The UP did loose 4 bridges, but all on the Kansas Sub east of Grantville. Two bridges washed out at about MP 58, and two at about MP 59. The washout at about MP 80 on the single track was not a bridge, just track where the creek came up very fast. They had to crib up the track with ties so that they could get the ballast train across it to build new road bed. It was opened by late Tuesday, I believe. The washouts east of Grantville were opened Wednesday with traffic running over a temporary fill on main 2 while they rebuild the bridges on main 1. From what I heard, those bridges should be opened within 48 hours, traffic shifted to main one and then new bridges on main 2 built. Traffic should be flowing normally in about a week.

imrl

Date: 10/07/05 19:27
Re: Flodding and Washouts
Author: upkpfan

GP60, Got it. Sneaky.

Had a reroute come thru today. It was a OGEX. That is the first time I've seen one of those thru here. Was W/B with 3 UP on point. upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.111 seconds