Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Old Days: DRGW Helpers Westbound on the Moffat

Date: 10/09/05 20:54
The Old Days: DRGW Helpers Westbound on the Moffat
Author: drgw

A friend just sent me a pic of DRGW helpers being cut out at Palmer Lake (in 1986, not today, unfortunately <g>). This got me to thinking... I seem to remember the DRGW using manned helpers westbound out of Denver, up to the Moffat Tunnel. I'm guessing that they often went on through the tunnel before cutting off, but I would swear that I remember helpers being cut off on the fly just before reaching the tunnel (perhaps when there was no eastbound to help back down the hill).

I am wondering:

Am I remembering correctly that this actually happened?

Did the DRGW do it, or was it the BNSF that did it post-merger? Or both?

If this *did* happen, was it only after cabooses disappeared from DRGW freights? Wouldn't the helpers have to be in front of the caboose (kind of putting the kabosh on cutting off on the fly)?

Any answers you have, or related stories (and/or pictures), would be appreciated...

Thanks!
-Wes

Date: 10/10/05 08:59
Re: The Old Days: DRGW Helpers Westbound on the Moffat
Author: KatDiesel

drgw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A friend just sent me a pic of DRGW helpers being
> cut out at Palmer Lake (in 1986, not today,
> unfortunately <g>). This got me to
> thinking... I seem to remember the DRGW using
> manned helpers westbound out of Denver, up to the
> Moffat Tunnel. I'm guessing that they often went
> on through the tunnel before cutting off, but I
> would swear that I remember helpers being cut off
> on the fly just before reaching the tunnel
> (perhaps when there was no eastbound to help back
> down the hill).
>
> I am wondering:
>
> Am I remembering correctly that this actually
> happened?
>
> Did the DRGW do it, or was it the BNSF that did it
> post-merger? Or both?
>
> If this *did* happen, was it only after cabooses
> disappeared from DRGW freights? Wouldn't the
> helpers have to be in front of the caboose (kind
> of putting the kabosh on cutting off on the fly)?
>
> Any answers you have, or related stories (and/or
> pictures), would be appreciated...
>
> Thanks!
> -Wes

BNSF did it post merger up until a few years ago, now they just DPU their trains since they are typically over drawbar, but they cut off on the move at East Portal. The Coal emtpies coming west out of Denver don't need helpers since they are 3500ton or less.....the manifest are built under drawbar or have a dpu ocasionally. This only from 98+ before that I can't answer.

Date: 10/10/05 11:43
Author: KoloradoKid

BNSF did it post merger up until a few years ago, now they just DPU their trains since they are typically over drawbar, but they cut off on the move at East Portal.

Huh!!!! DPU can't be cut off on the fly. There is no one aboard to pull the pin. Generally, the practice of cutting off on the fly on the Rio Grande was outlawed a number of years ago. Up until the mid to late 70s, RG used two Geeps for pushers and they did cut off on the fly as the train entered the tunnel. ie, the pushers would be stopped, generally, before entering the tunnel. They would then proceed at restricted speed back to the next signal. If they wre needed on the other side, or were going home to Denver, then they would just stay attached and keep on going.

The Coal emtpies coming west out of Denver don't need helpers since they are 3500ton or less.....the manifest are built under drawbar or have a dpu ocasionally. This only from 98+ before that I can't answer.

A rather short time to reprt on.

KK

Date: 10/10/05 15:20
Author: KatDiesel

KoloradoKid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BNSF did it post merger up until a few years ago,
> now they just DPU their trains since they are
> typically over drawbar, but they cut off on the
> move at East Portal.
>
> Huh!!!! DPU can't be cut off on the fly.
> There is no one aboard to pull the pin.
> Generally, the practice of cutting off on the fly
> on the Rio Grande was outlawed a number of years
> ago. Up until the mid to late 70s, RG used two
> Geeps for pushers and they did cut off on the fly
> as the train entered the tunnel. ie, the pushers
> would be stopped, generally, before entering the
> tunnel. They would then proceed at restricted
> speed back to the next signal. If they wre needed
> on the other side, or were going home to Denver,
> then they would just stay attached and keep on
> going.
>
> The Coal emtpies coming west out of Denver don't
> need helpers since they are 3500ton or
> less.....the manifest are built under drawbar or
> have a dpu ocasionally. This only from 98+ before
> that I can't answer.
>
> A rather short time to reprt on.
>
> KK
>
>

I never said they cut off DPU, guess the wording (and bad sentence structure)threw you I was refering to the manned helpers. Sorry. I'm not that stupid when it comes to DPU since I cut them off everyday. My mind moves a lot faster then the poor ol fingers can type.

And yes its a short time to report on, but guess I am still a youngster.

Date: 10/10/05 17:46
Author: KoloradoKid

Kat doozel said:

I never said they cut off DPU, guess the wording (and bad sentence structure)threw you I was refering to the manned helpers. Sorry. I'm not that stupid when it comes to DPU since I cut them off everyday. My mind moves a lot faster then the poor ol fingers can type.

Yes, very, very bad sentence structure. On TO, I see a lot of wrong words (right phonetically, jsut the wrong spelling) and sentences that don't make sense. I guess that is my punishment for marrying a teacher.

KK

Date: 10/10/05 21:19
Author: JBRioGrande

Westbound we cut the helpers off on the fly short of East Portal,...this was back in the mid 70's. Usually we returned to North Yard as a light engine. Coming East, we would do the same thing, just short of West Portal, at Winter Park. We always shoved with two Geeps, behind the crummy. The conductor would give us a nod, about 300 yards from the mouth of the tunnel, and we'd notch up a touch, to give him the slack as he pulled the pin. We'd let her go into bighole and bale off the independent until we came to a stop. Close angle cock, make air test, and return down the hill for the next help job. Simple, huh? Summer yes, Winter,... could be a pain in the arse! Light engine down the hill was a real glide.

Lungs suffered real bad for longtimers. I can still taste it. Palmer Lake was better duty for some, and a bit healthier....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1846 seconds