Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Signal Bridge Help - & Thanks!

Date: 10/10/05 21:09
Signal Bridge Help - & Thanks!
Author: CraigM111

A month or two ago I asked for help locating photos of signal bridges and a LOT of you responded by posting great photos! Thank you to all that helped!

The attached photo shows the first style and the sample N Scale version. Does anyone have any information on this style of Santa Fe bridge? There are two like this still standing in Santa Fe Springs, CA and I'm sure there are a lot more around the country. My guess would be they went up sometime in the 40's (????) but I really have no idea.

Any help would be appreciated!

Craig
BLMA
www.nscaleblma.com

Date: 10/11/05 06:39
Re: Signal Bridge Help - & Thanks!
Author: bnsfbob

The one in the photo appears to be one of the older Santa Fe types. I don't know if I would call this one a pure "A-frame" but it is similar. Notice the transverse cross bracing, the angle of which seems to very across the system. Some A-frames date to the twenties and maybe earlier. This bridge has been re-footed (moved?) at some point.

More modern types installed in the 50's/60's are made of welded steel I-beams with the uprights bent from angled to vertical. A common steel manufacturer of this type was Illinois Steel and you can see their moniker embossed on the web of the I-beams. Bob

Date: 10/11/05 18:04
Author: CraigM111

Thanks BNSFBOB!

I'm guessing this is the other style 'I' beam type bridge you are talking about...

Date: 10/12/05 07:20
Author: bnsfbob

CraigM111 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks BNSFBOB!
>
> I'm guessing this is the other style 'I' beam type
> bridge you are talking about...
>
>

Yup.

Also see:

www.rrsignals.net

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds