Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Another picky poke at Hollywood

Date: 10/20/05 08:11
Another picky poke at Hollywood
Author: hepkema

Very few people would care (And nobody really should care) but it was fun to notice the train that snuk into a scene on last nights episode of INVASION on ABC. The show is ficticiously based in south Florida (and in the aftermath of a hurricane). The stack train making a cameo appearance was led by a patched SP unit and 3 or 4 UP units. Obviously filmed somewhere on the un-trenched part of the Alameda corridor.

(I should probably be strung up for even noticing. My wife didn't. Maybe I need a life.)

rh

Date: 10/20/05 08:45
Re: Another picky poke at Hollywood
Author: tmotor2

Date: 10/20/05 09:12
Author: pecosvalleychief

Don't beat yurself up there sir, I do the same thing. Ever see the teeny piece of an Amtrak engine in Pearl Harbor? I do like the ones though where someone obviously tried very hard to be accurate, two of which spring to mind. The film "Dancer in the Dark" with Bjork was filmed in Sweden, but they went to great pains to paint up some Euro-diesels in convincing Great Northern orange and green. Also, in "Fat Man and Little Boy", there is a scene where a courier stops a Santa Fe train to get a message to Gen. Grove. The equipment is obviously wrong, but the warbonnet paint was a good effort and one of the pass. cars was even named "Navajo". 'Magine that.

Allen

Date: 10/20/05 10:34
Author: switchlock

I remember an episode of Cheers where Sam was near a "Boston" rail yard as an SP switcher passed behind him.

Date: 10/20/05 14:10
Author: imrl393

Eh, don't feel so bad, rh. I still like catching these little gems, much to the consternation of my wife.

BC (whose favorite is still JFK...a stack train _and_ a Conrail gondola, egads!)

Date: 10/20/05 14:30
Author: Goatboat

In the 50s movie "Grease," look close at the start of the race scene in the LA River. You can see an Amtrak F40 and Amfleets going by on the ATSF.

- gb -

Date: 10/21/05 03:32
Author: sventomas

Both the ex DSB MX (EMD Licence) and the ex SJ T43 still runs in the GN color from the movie Dancing in the dark anyway the sound (EMD 657) is authentic.

Tom W

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.03 seconds