Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Yreka Western this morning.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/20/05 16:04
Yreka Western this morning.
Author: photobob

I stopped by the Yreka Western Depot this morning and I was able to catch the morning run to Montague.
I dont even know what kind of diesel this thing is but it works.

Date: 10/20/05 16:06
Re: Yreka Western this morning.

Heres the #21 Im not sure if its running or not. I was surprised to see that 3 axle unit in operation considering the condition of the track.

Date: 10/20/05 16:07

Here it is a mile or so from Yreka. I dont know what the CP box car was doing in Yreka but sure makes the diesel look small.

Date: 10/20/05 16:08

Heres a going away view across the Shasta Valley.

Date: 10/20/05 16:09

Coming down the grade the boxcar looks like its ready too run over the locomotive.

Date: 10/20/05 16:10

And the last shot as it nears the mill really shows the size difference. I dont know how much longer this railroad will be in operation but I try and grab it when I can.

Date: 10/20/05 16:19
Author: Steamjocky

The big engine looks like one of those MRS things that the military uses or has used in the past. I'm sure somebody can give a better answer to your question than I. Also, what is the history of #21?

steamjocky

Date: 10/20/05 16:26
Author: iliketrains

Yes, it does appear to be a Military Road Switch 1 (MRS-1) manufactored by ALCo.

How long can a railroad remain open with one load?

Date: 10/20/05 16:45
Author: Pullman

Yup that's the Alco MRS-1 they got from Portola.

Designed for light axle loading and impaired clearances. And steam heat for everything, too!

Date: 10/20/05 16:54
Author: JDLX

YW #244 is an Alco MRS-1...at one point this locomotive, and another like one, were sold to the Northern Nevada Railroad, which was owned by the same guy that started the Eureka Southern...that's where the paint job came from. Mr. Whipple exited the scene in Ely before the two units could go east.

The #21 is an EMD SW-8/TR-6...built around 1953 for Southern Pacific. It was one of many such locomotives that SP had built with dynamic brakes and m.u. connections, and some of these units served as the power units for cow/calf pairs that worked in hump yards and on local/switching assignments. Chrome Crankshaft brokered these units for SP in 1978, and the Kyle Railways empire picked up most of them. Two of them went to the YW.

As for traffic...the railroad actually does very little business out of Yreka. Its one and only freight shipper of any real substance is located about halfway between Yreka and Montegue, and as such the locomotives generally run light from Yreka to the mill, pick up the outbound cars, go to Montegue, swap the outbound cars for the inbound cars, take the inbound cars back to the mill, and then run light back to Yreka. Loads into and out of Yreka are very, very rare...so photobob got lucky...

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 10/20/05 17:04
Author: dmaffei

What ya get at WALL MART Bob? Hey is the house in Pic #4 for sale? Fixer upper near the tracks with a great view. Did you tell the crew they had a burnt out headlight? Cool photos Bob.

Date: 10/20/05 18:12
Author: DKay

Looks just like an aussie(NSW) 48 class Alco
Regards,DK

Date: 10/20/05 19:18
Author: topper

Steamjocky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Also, what is the history of #21?

It's the 1115 (don't be fooled by the modified headlight housing) and was an LA Division unit prior to being transferred to the Western Division, so you might've had it.

Here's Tony Johnson's SW8 disposition list:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,199599,199736#msg-199736

Date: 10/20/05 19:35
Author: samreeves

Cool photos Pixelbob. I was following my slow train in Hollister today, so the spirit of slowness is in full force.

Date: 10/20/05 21:43
Author: FGS

Photobob,

Thanks for the photo spread of the Yreka Western, I really enjoy shortlines. And as always great pics!

Jim

Date: 10/20/05 22:34
Author: Steamjocky

topper Wrote:
> Steamjocky Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Also, what is the history of #21?
>
> It's the 1115 (don't be fooled by the modified
> headlight housing) and was an LA Division unit
> prior to being transferred to the Western
> Division, so you might've had it.
>
> Here's Tony Johnson's SW8 disposition list:
>
> http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1
> 99599,199736#msg-199736
>
>
>
Yeah, I had it. In 1961! I was 12 years old in the summer of 1961 and I was making a trip on the Riverside Local with my dad and the engineer, Jay williams, let me run the engine. I did more than just blow the horn. He showed me how the brake valve worked and told me how to use the throttle. I only ran the engine between Colton and Riverside (but didn't do any switching) for about 20 minutes but it seemed like it lasted only about 30 seconds. This was the very first locomotive I ever ran.

As for the 1100 I have a photo of it taken at West Colton around 1979 or 1978 just before it was to be put on a train to go somewhere. If I can ever remember how to properly use my scanner I'll post a slide of the 1100 and some others that might be of interest to some.

steamjocky

Date: 10/21/05 05:17
Alco Model 244-F , etc. (MRS)
Author: spnudge

Its an ALCO MRS. We had them along with the EMD MRS in the Army. The technical manual I still have, TM55-2210-216-10, is dated August, 1959 and is titled as follows:

"Locomotive, Diesel Electric, 56 1/2, 60, 63 and 66 Inch Gages, 120 Ton, 0-6-6-0. American Locomotive Engine Model 244-F, 1600 HP. General Electric Models GE19B238G1 and GE19B238G2, (Domestic and Foreign Service)

Approximate weights was 246,000 with a steam generator or 240,000 without. 800 gals diesel with the steam generator, 1600 without. It could take a 30 degree curve. Height was 13'5" Length 56'9" at coupler face.

Chapter 5 is Titled: Demolition of The locomotive. Interesting if you want to blow it up, shoot it up or burn it. Tells you what to do if all you have is a pic axe.

Also have manuals for the EMD MRS, SW-8s, and the BLH Model RS-4-TC, the little 60 Ton, 500 HP, 0-4-4-0. And last but not least, TM55-201, Operation, Inspection and Maintenance of Steam Locomotives, for the 606 & 612 we had back at Eustis. Hand fired killers.

Nudge

Date: 10/21/05 11:40
Re: Alco Model 244-F , etc. (MRS)
Author: Evan_Werkema

spnudge Wrote:

> Chapter 5 is Titled: Demolition of The locomotive.
> Interesting if you want to blow it up, shoot it up
> or burn it. Tells you what to do if all you have
> is a pic axe.

While I doubt it was in the book, DOE once demolished an MRS in the course of testing the durability of spent nuclear fuel shipping casks back about 1980. They mounted rockets on the locomotive and rammed it into a truck carrying a prototype cask at 81 mph. Photos and a video clip can be found here (fourth row of photos): http://www.sandia.gov/tp/SAFE_RAM/SEVERITY.HTM

Date: 10/21/05 13:43
Re: Alco Model 244-F , etc. (MRS)
Author: FriendlySP

spnudge Wrote:
> Its an ALCO MRS. We had them along with the EMD
> MRS in the Army. The technical manual I still
> have, TM55-2210-216-10, is dated August, 1959 and
> is titled as follows:
>
> "Locomotive, Diesel Electric, 56 1/2, 60, 63 and
> 66 Inch Gages, 120 Ton, 0-6-6-0. American
> Locomotive Engine Model 244-F, 1600 HP. General
> Electric Models GE19B238G1 and GE19B238G2,
> (Domestic and Foreign Service)
>
> Approximate weights was 246,000 with a steam
> generator or 240,000 without. 800 gals diesel with
> the steam generator, 1600 without. It could take a
> 30 degree curve. Height was 13'5" Length 56'9" at
> coupler face.
>

> Nudge

and I imagine that it is an A1A-A1A rather than a C-C. There were quite a few first generation six-axle road switchers with center axles as idlers for track that couldn't take even a B-B GP7.

Bob Knoll
Tucson

Date: 10/21/05 21:25
YW Prospects
Author: odub

The YW was strung out and almost totally sunk with the extended closure of the tunnel. A marginally profitable operation for years, the closed tunnel cost them about half of their traffic (veneer over the hill for Timber Products, Inc.). The former owner ran up a huge debt against the property to pay for other endeavors then disappeared from town about 14 months ago. As far as I know, he's never turned up. Initially it was thought foul play was at hand, but many now suspect he split due to the huge financial mess he'd created. Through out the whole ordeal, the employees kept the operation going.

It is now being operated by the major creditor. There has been talk of it being sold to a couple of parties, including the city of Yreka. I don't know whether anything has been comsumated in this arena, but I don't think so.

Meantime, we have an operable steam locomotive mothballed in the YW enginehouse awaiting a rebuilt boiler due to the recent FRA regulations. Sure miss hearing it whistle off every morning in the summer.

Don Hall
Yreka, CA

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0972 seconds